Chapter 13

Dirt. Sky. Dead branches. A wide, desert like valley. The only safe way to Shadow's hidden location. Rouge already explained it wouldn't be easy to get into; one must faze through a wall to access the interior. Sonic couldn't believe how easy this was. He would never see him coming.

Though if he did, Sonic wasn't sure if he could restrain himself. He had Amy with him, and Sonic was scared he was going to brainwash her, or sell her to Eggman, or hold her for ransom, or just torture or kill her.

But Sonic knew this wasn't the case.

He saw the way Shadow looked at Amy. The gentle stare of his eyes, locking onto hers.

He saw how Amy clung to him like she was going to fall if she let go. The unwavering smile she reserved just for him.

While he didn't like to admit it, and made a bunch of excuses as to why he was going to rescue Amy, the truth of it weighed heavy at the back of his mind.

Amy loves Shadow. Shadow, somehow, loves her in return.

But Sonic could also see the hesitation in Shadow. How he looked scared or anxious, in just a few seconds, when Amy got closer to him. Like he was going to lose her.

He also remembered the intense anger of his attack when Amy got hurt.

Shadow was conflicted with his feelings. Sonic hoped it would shine through sooner rather than later. He didn't think Amy would be able to handle someone who fought their emotions.

Although she has put up with him all these years.

He kept running.

Almost there.

The mountain wasn't very far now. He pushed harder, zooming to the mountainside. Sonic could see no entrance to any sort of cave; it was just a big, smooth stone cliff side. Sonic assumed this was where he would have to faze through the stone. To be honest, he wasn't sure if it would work, but he had to try. For Amy.

It had to work.

Sonic squinted, focusing his power to quick, side to side movements, turning him into a shaky haze. Of course, fazing using super speed was only a theory, but, in theory, it could work.

Just as he was about to move in, a dark figure stepped out of the rocky surface. Sonic stopped, hatred settling in his chest.

"Shadow," Sonic spit out.

"Tch," Shadow retorted, unaffected by Sonic's attitude. "You're trespassing. Leave me be."

"Where's Amy?" Sonic couldn't stand small talk. He needed to know she was okay. He needed her with him, by his side. Not in Shadow's hidden dungeon.

"You know," Shadow continued, ignoring Sonic's question, "this entire mountain, this little area I have finally found that's far enough away from you and your pitiful team to care about, has been my home for months."

"Where is Amy?" Sonic asked again, louder and more demanding.

Shadow didn't stutter. "Somehow, I found myself drawn to other places, namely the beach a ways behind Amy's house. It's a nice spot, I'm surprised nobody goes there."

"Enough of your games Shadow!"

"But when I realized why I kept coming over to Amy's house, why I followed her to her house every night, I also realized that I never stayed in my cavern because it was too big for just one person. Deep down inside, I was making a space for more than just me."

Sonic rushed Shadow, pinning him to the wall. Sonic was convinced that if he slammed him hard enough, the wall might break to reveal the thing he is dying to see. "Give her back!"

Shadow smirked. "She is not yours to keep, Faker." Sonic gripped him tighter, but Shadow didn't budge. "For years, she had pursued you. For years, you ignored her."

Sonic's body trembled in rage. "You can't have her. You don't deserve her!"

"You've missed your chance, Sonic."

Sonic screamed, enraged, throwing Shadow to the ground. Shadow rolled, recovering smoothly. He glared at Sonic with raw hatred. Sonic had to restrain himself from strangling the ultimate life form.

"You're right, Shadow," Sonic yelled. "I have ignored her. I missed every chance I had with her." Tears formed inside Sonic's eyes. Shadow rolled his, annoyed.

"Careful Faker, crying is a weakness. It would be easy for me to attack you in that state." He said it mockingly, arms crossed. Sonic was a shivering mess, tears running down his face.

"So what if it is? I have no dignity left to lose. I would do anything to have her back, even if I make a fool of myself." He was on his hands and knees now. He didn't know how he suddenly lost himself in front of his worst enemy, but he couldn't stop himself.

Sonic got hit in the mouth hard. He fell on his side, tasting blood in his mouth. His breaths were ragged from crying. Shadow stood above him, his stoic face looming above him.

"Stay away from Rose, Faker. You don't deserve her."

Sonic smiled sadly. "I'm not surprised, Shadow. Kicking someone while they're down. Completely in your nature."

Shadow frowned evilly. "Only people who deserve it. People like you, Sonic." Shadow snarled. "You're so full of yourself. Your ego overrides your conscience. You have no sympathy until you realize it hurts you."

Sonic grunted and rolled onto his hands and knees, trying to steady himself. Shadow's blow really hit him hard.

"You don't truly love Rose, Faker. You just miss her attention. You can't make her happy."

"But I WANT to!" Sonic gritted through clenched teeth. "It took me too long to realize, but I recognize my feelings now. I can't hide them anymore."

Shadow narrowed his eyes. "What are you-"

"I do love Amy, Shadow. And I don't care if she loves you. I can't let her go, not after everything we've been through together."

Shadow scoffed. "And what makes you think-"

"S-Sonic?"

The two male hedgehogs turned to the stone wall, both shocked at the pink hedgehog standing before them. She had tears in her eyes.

"Did... did you really mean all that?"

AN: hello! It's been a while hehe. I've been getting a lot of love from this fanfiction and I wanted to thank everyone for the support. I'm sorry for the slow updates. Have a good day/night! :))