Chapter 15

"Shadow, please!"

Amy couldn't take the sight of Sonic digging his claws into Shadow's arms anymore. She couldn't handle the pleasure that was radiating off of Shadow. He had gone too far. He had seen the blood of his enemy.

And he wanted more.

He wanted all of it.

Shadow couldn't hear Amy. Hell, he couldn't even hear Sonic's ragged breaths and pleads for the black hedgehog to stop. The ultimate life form only heard the pulse of his own heart. The banging drums drowned all other senses out.

All he could see was the face of someone else. A different hedgehog was desperately wiggling out of Shadow's deathly grip. It was someone he didn't even know. He just needed to feel good again.

The longing of wanting to murder someone was like a muscle. When you strain against it for too long, it starts becoming unbearable. The only way to relieve it is to let it loose. And for most of Shadow's life, that's what he did. He killed people because it was the only way to regain his sanity.

He went crazy when he didn't.

But one day, he stopped giving into the ache that came with homicide. It was only one reason, and it was a stupid one. He didn't think it was stupid back then. If only he had known how things would have turned out.

Fate is a twisted thing, isn't it?

Another figure shimmered into Shadow's cruel mind. A girl, blond and fair. Someone Shadow cared about very, very deeply. The first person he had ever loved.

The reason he abstained.

It was hard for him. It was like chaining himself to a pole, and placing a meal just out of his reach. And he had to watch the steamy, rich food simmer in front of him while he starved. Slowly.

And one day, he broke.

The girl didn't know about Shadow's past. He intended to keep it hidden.

But she tripped down a few stairs.

She got two cuts on her legs.

And she broke him.

He fought it hard, but all he could see was the blood. Her blood. The blood of his lover.

No! Don't do it!

But he could practically smell it. It filled the room, and it started dripping down the walls. It slowly flooded through the windows, like molasses. And the brick wall he had built to keep himself away from the nightmare of who he used to be came crashing down.

And all he wanted to do to the lovely girl on the floor was decorate her in more cuts.

Her cries for help echoed silently through his mind, as he ran his favorite cutting knife across her soft skin. He loved her skin. She always smelled like lavenders.

Wait no, it wasn't lavenders.

It was roses.

Roses.

Rose.

Amy.

And he snapped back to reality. Amy was on his right arm, desperately trying to pry his hands off of Sonic. He was barely breathing, and his limbs were going stiff. Shadow gasped aloud, shocked at the sight before him.

Sonic had so much blood coming out of his mouth.

Shadow dropped him, backing away on all fours. He looked away from Sonic, who was gasping in ragged, wet breaths. Amy cried out, relived and terrified.