Part 3

The day after the quirky girl had left the house, Jack had woken up to find himself on the couch, covered by a blanket, the sour taste of aspirin in his mouth. He must have gotten up and taken some but he didn't remember when. He tried to speak, but as he opened his mouth nothing came out and instead Bobby walked into the room.

"God damn! Good thing you're alive. we thought you were done for!"

Bobby gingerly hugged his little brother, but in shifting Jack realized his shoulder was bandaged.

"Bobby? We don't have any bandages in the house. And if we did, how the fuck did you know what to do? I was fuckin shot!"

Bobby looked uncomfortable. "We had a little help. Tall girl, weird, goddamn rude...Jessica." As the words left his mouth, Jack's face paled.

"Are you sure it was Jessie?"

Bobby nodded. "I wouldn't forget someone who was so rude to a Mercer."

Jack tried to get up, but winced in pain. He settled back onto his pillow, but looked visibly flustered.

"I didn't even - she didn't even owe me - I owe her now..." he thought out loud.

"She said she didn't want to talk to you." Bobby explained. "Where did you even meet her?"

Jack shook his head. "In the middle of senior year, she just popped up. No one knew where she came from, and she never made any friends. We were in a few of the same classes...she was always focused on the cure to some obscure disease or other. I didn't know her."

Jack settled back, story finished, and groaned. "Do we have any aspirin?" he said.

Bobby went to get it for him, even though he suspected that Jack wasn't telling the whole story. The little fairy is good at that, Bobby thought. Then, from the other room, Jack inquired, "Where's Jerry and Angel?"

Bobby shook his head, though Jack couldn't see the motion. "Jerry left last night, muttering about some bull, and Angel left this morning with Sofie."

Jack nodded. He was quiet for a moment. Then, as Bobby came back, he took his aspirin and drifted off to sleep.

***

The doorbell rang the next day, if you could call 3:00 in the morning the "day". Bobby groaned and rolled over, thinking he was on his bed. Instead, he fell off the loveseat as the doorbell rang again. Cursing, Bobby went to the door. Upon opening it, he was surprised to see Jessica on the front step. As he opened the door, he noted that she jumped. And, as he invited her in, she looked through the window around the street, as if she was afraid someone was watching her.

"I have to tell you some things. And I'll tell you anything you ask, just please, help. I'm in trouble - " she broke off as a dark blue car pulled up in front of the house.

"Shit...already?" She asked under her breath. "Do you have a back door?" she asked Bobby then, gasping for breath. Bobby nodded and led her to it.

Before she left, Bobby grabbed her arm.

"What's going on?" he demanded to know. She thrust a paper into his hand, breaking his hold on her.

"Hey, kid!" Bobby shouted, angry now. "I don't want a number, I want info!"

He scowled as he realized she was already gone. Sneaking to the front again, Bobby slowly pulled the curtain back.

The car was gone.