The Shootout

Jack stared at Jessica for a second, and then smiled. Jessica sighed. "It's nice to see you smile at me. I'm -"

Jessica was cut off as Bobby spoke from the doorway where he had been watching the two lovers.

"Ok, fun's over and -whoa! What the fuck - someone had better clean that up!" he said, eyeing the throw up on the floor. "Sofie, mami, come here and clean this up!"

Jack and Jessica smiled as, as expected, Sofie came charging up the stairs, shouting in Spanish, and Angel shouted up, "Stop antagonizing, man!"

Suddenly, a car beeped in front of the house. Angel looked out of the front door, then came running up the stairs.

"Jessica, your rides here! And you have an escort!"

Bobby grabbed a gun, passed one to Angel, and waited for the inevitable gunshots. Gunshots, is right!

There was a series of cracks as the lock to the door was shot open. Angel and Bobby took refuge on the stair landing, and Jack and Jessica hid in the bathroom upstairs. Jessica was panicking. As a deep voice was heard from downstairs, she started hyperventilating.

"Oh my gosh!" she whispered. "It's him, he's coming to get me! Why didn't I listen to him, why is he like this, why can't I have a normal l - !"

She was cut off as Jack swept her into a kiss. "That was a nice way of telling me to shut up." she whispered to Jack when they were done.

"You're welcome." he answered, voice taut and worried.

They both jumped as another volley of gunshots rang out. "What do you think is going to happen? There were a lot of them." Jessica whispered.

Jack answered, "They're going to be fine."

Just then, Bobby screamed. "They need some fuckin help!" Jessica said, unlocking the bathroom door and running to Bobby's room.

"Here." She threw Jack a gun. Wincing, he put it on the bed and sat down next to it, his face white. "I can't do it, Jess."

He breathed in and out slowly, and with a pang of sorrow, Jessica realized he needed to rest. She was on her own for this one.

***

Cocking the gun, Jessica ran down to the landing with silent steps. Angel was still shooting, but Bobby was down, shot in the right arm. Jessica slowly made her way down the stairs, rationally using her bullets sparingly. Pretty soon, with Angel's help, there were no more henchmen. There was, though, one gangster left. Jessica stood there, waiting for Angel to finish him off, when she heard a sound she did not like: Click! Click! Click!

Angel's gun was empty.

Jessica was about to hand hers to him, when she heard a groan escape his lips. Blood poured from his leg. Jessica would, again, face this one alone.

"Jessica," The General crooned. "Jessica. What is this? You with some of my - enemies? You don't want me to get mad, do you?"

But Jessica forced her face to stay stony. When The General saw this approach wasn't working, he switched tactics.

"Jessica, I'm sorry." he said gently. "I've been a big mess-up. I can give you anything you want. Just put the gun down. Don't interfere with Daddy's work."

Jessica's eyes now filled with tears. Of anger. "I want you to leave me and the Mercers alone, you fuck!" she shouted, pulling the trigger.

The bullet hit its target, and The General fell down dead.