23

**** The man entered the cabin, arms full of dry wood. 'Dry wood?' She thought to herself. 'Where did he get dry wood? It doesn't even have snow on it.'

He turned and closed the door easily, then placed the wood by the fireplace.

"Howdy, ma'am, pleasure to meet ya. My boy there," he said looking at Beau lovingly, "has told me all about you. He doesn't know it yet, but he loves you like nobody's business. Me and his mom was beginnin' to fear he'd never find that, 'special someone'."

"Oh my lands!" She shot into a sitting position. "You're Beau's father?" Beau looked just like him. Same cobalt blue eyes, dark hair, and the same heart stopping smile. Though this man had a full handlebar mustache. She felt panic course through her. "Oh no, please... no, you're not here to take him, are you?" She asked, tears filling her eyes.

"That's not up to me, little lady. That's up to him." He answered, sitting on the bunk beside his son, he soothed the damp hair from his forehead. "He's grown into a fine young man. I couldn't be more proud."

He turned and looked directly at Drina. "I've been watchin' you and Beau, you make a right smart lookin' couple." He smiled warmly. "I was sent here to help ya out. The Big Man upstairs heard you ask for help findin' the emergency button and allowed me to come for a spell."

"What do you mean by the Big Man, are you referring to God?"

He just smiled at her. "You'll find that button over there by the medicine cabinet. There's a mirror coverin' it. That's in case some saddle bum breaks in. There's actually a code that lets the main house know if you need help or not."

"What code?"

"Well, push it once and it will flash in a slow, steady beat. Push it three times and it will flash three times in a group of three. That alerts the night guard what cabin you're in and that it's a medical emergency."

Her eyes jumped to the mirror in question, and back to Brett. She tried to stand but, her body wouldn't move... she was paralyzed.

"Don't you worry none, I'll get it." He said and did just that.

"Th-thank you." She stammered. "Why are you here?"

"Oh, I keep a watch on my family. To tell ya the truth, that's my job. But, I got special permission to help you tonight. I have to admit it's been a mite hard watchin' and not bein' able to do anythin' sometimes though. Lately I've been under orders to stand back and let Beau, Lillie, and my little girl to find their own way." He said, a sad look in his blue eyes.

"Sometimes it's been real hard." He added with a catch in his voice.

"I'm sure it has been. Some terrible things have happened, but, some good things have happened too, some are happening now! Have you seen Bobbi at work? She's a wonderful attorney and has helped so many children, so many families. She's grown so much in the last few months, she's much stronger and self confident."

He smiled, "Yes ma'am, I have and I'm right proud of her. I thank you for the part you've played in helpin' my family. I've been wonderin' when her and Randy was gonna admit their feelin's." He nodded and chuckled. "Now that Rowdy Randy, he's made a good man too. Course, he couldn't not be and have the daddy he's got."

"Yes," Drina agreed. "Rowdy and Yancy are incredibly good men. I think a great deal of both of them and Lillie is a fine woman." She said.

A softness came over his face. "Ah, my Little Lil." He took a deep breath and smiled. "She got lost for a while, but she's found her way. I'm glad her and Yancy are gonna make a pair of it. He'll be good to her and good for her. Her 'n Yancy will be okay. They'll help guide all these young ones through rough times as well as good times."