25

**** Yancy stood in the den with Rowdy, Bobbi, Eve and Rachel. "I'm not sayin' that we put it down. Just that this is no place for a wolf." Yancy slid his hand down his face. "When Drina said pup I thought she meant a dog. It never occured to me that Beau saved a wolf pup."

Rachel shook her head, "That pup has formed a deep bond with both Beau and Drina. Sending her to a zoo or even an animal park," she shook her head... "I have little faith that she would survive the move, and have you forgotten who else this plan would affect?"

Geniveve nodded in agreement. "I doubt my brother will part with her. She's slept with him every night." Eve smiled. "I really don't think she's that bad. Yes, she's a wild animal, but I've been doing some research on wolves, and what I've found out so far is that they're not the blood thirsty killers people think they are."

"Koni seems to agree that we should keep the animal, for now at least." Rowdy agreed. "Since wolves are being used to take the cattle, she thinks we might be able to learn somethin' about them that might help us."

Yancy looked at them all like they had grown beaks. "Do you people hear yourselves? Might I remind you that we have lost over forety head to that crazy wolf pack and one of them attacked my son! If they're not killin' machines what are they?!"

Bobbi sighed, "Most of the information I'm finding is that they're very sociable, caring animals, Yancy. They tend to form deep rooted bonds and they will fight and kill anything that threatens their pack. They're very protective about their pack, their family... and Beau is her pack, her alpha. That doesn't mean I agree with my sister."

She looked at Eve. "In fact, it is the complete opposite, but this isn't up to us."

* * *

Beau sat up slowly, glared at Yancy and placed his bowl on the bedside table. He was still very weak, his voice still raspy, and his throat and chest sore as he spoke.

"The answer is no. Hope stays with me, and that is the end of this discussion!" He stroked the pup's ear as she lifted her head and tilted it from side to side as she studied Yancy with her large brown puppy eyes.

"Because, of her we still have a Belted Galloway heffer. Those two saved each other by sharin' their body warmth. I don't know how she come to be out there by herself, but... one thing I've learned through all this is that things happen for a reason. I believe Hope was there to help the calf survive. I believe I was meant to find her, and she was meant to survive the trip to the cabin. I know there is a bigger plan and we're all part of it. I don't know what it all means, but one thing I'm sure of is that Hope is supposed to be here with me. End of discussion."

Beau seldom spoke like a boss to Yancy, Rowdy or Nate. He had virtually never used that tone with Yancy, telling them all how deeply he felt about the pup.

Yancy nodded his head and looked at Beau steadily. "All right, son. If you feel that strongly about her, I'll drop it for now. But... if we start loosin' calves, chickens, ducks or God forgive your mother's prized turkeys later, I can't promise how some of the others... your mother in particular will feel."

"We won't lose anythin' because of Hope, let alone any of mom's prized poultry, at least not after I've trained her. Besides, she'll be good protection for the kids, Yancy, you'll see."

* * *

Drina stepped over to the bed and stroked Hope from head to tail over and over. She knelt by the bed next to Beau and the pup.

"You hear that, Hope? You're gonna stay here as long as you want and you'll never have to be cold and hungry again." She chuckled as the small wet tongue licked her cheek.

Beau placed his hand in her hair and patted the area next to him. She sat and lowered her head to his chest and sighed as he hugged her and placed a kiss in her hair.

"I love the way your hair smells, the way you smell. Have I thanked you yet for savin' my life... for savin' our lives? We would have died in that blizzard if not for you. I owe you in so many ways."

She sat up, smiled and kissed him. "You don't owe me anything, it was just payback for all that you've done for me... all that you've given back to me. I'm just glad it all turned out well."

"How did you know where we were?" He looked at the delicate hand he held before kissing it and holding it to his cheek. "You could have gotten lost so easily yet you set out all by your lonesome. When I get my strength back you and I are goin' to have a long sit down over the ranch rules."

She frowned, "Hmm, yes I see how grateful you are. Actually, I knew where you were, because... well... God told me. He showed me where you were and how to get to the cabin. Topper told us where he last spoke with you and what cabin you would go to." She moved closer and leaned in to lay her head on his shoulder.

"I looked at the map in your den and took a picture of it with my phone. I was looking at the East cabin Number One that he said you'd spoke of, but something kept telling me it wasn't right. Then a light from the Christmas tree shone directly on the Southeast cabin Number Two and then it moved down to the stable. And, that's the path I took. It led me directly to you. He led me to you and then to the cabin. It was the most amazing thing. You are on this earth for a reason, Beau. God has blessed you and you are part of a bigger plan that He has in mind for you. I don't know what all the plan is, but He isn't done."

"Well, I don't know about all that, with everything that has happened to me and my family over the years... I had pushed thoughts of God to the back of my mind. I believed... but I-I don't know how to put it. But, I do believe... now, that I was meant to find those animals, and that you were meant to be here... on this ranch to save us, to save me. I believe you have a place on the 3B with us...."

His voice became raspy, "I want you to think about it. About staying here on the ranch. I know your music is important to you and I'm good with that. But, think about making your life... yours and the kids here on the ranch..."

He swallowed, caressed her face. "I thought God had no place in my life anymore, but you've shown me that He's just been waiting. You brought me back to Him and I thank you for that. I thank Him for you. You and the kids... all three of them are all the Christmas I could ever ask for."

"I'm glad, Beau. The twins and I love it here. They have been begging me to let them stay here year round. We all feel at home here, like we belong." While she firmly believed what she said, she couldn't help but notice that he hadn't said he loved her. So... in what position did he want her to stay? Just as another family on the ranch? Surely he wasn't asking her to move in with him. She knew that couples just lived together all the time, but she couldn't.

"You're so tired, it's all you can do to keep your eyes open. Go to sleep, honey; lay down here next to me and we'll open our gifts and have Christmas dinner when you wake up."

He framed her beautiful face with his hands and kissed her gently, lovingly. She couldn't tell him she was in love with him when she wasn't sure if he felt the same. She'd talk to him about the idea she'd been looking into.