12

I was gearing up on the quinjet when we were about to land when Steve walked up to me. "Hey." I greeted.

"Hi." He reached over and helped me tighten my wrist braces. "You sure you're up for this, Mae?" I just shot him a knowing look. "I'm sorry, I just worry about you." I reached up and patted his cheek.

"You have nothing to worry about," I smiled at him. "But my main target is the Maximoff girl."

"Mae..."

"I'm the only one who can take her on, Steve, you know that." I sighed and looked up at him. "This is just like Project Insight. We can't get our relationship get in the way of the mission."

He smirked at me. "Our relationship?" 

"Yeah, you're my best friend." I lied through my teeth. "I care about my friends." I went back to putting potions and weapons in my toolbelt. I felt his confident aura diminish slightly. "Do you know where I can get a pistol?"

He raised his eyebrows at me. "You can shoot a gun?"

"It's been three years, Rogers, I've changed a lot," I smirked as Natasha walked by and casually handed me a gun. I placed it in my toolbelt.

"We ready to rock-n-roll, kids?" Tony asked, already in his Ironman suit. Steve and I nodded to each other while heading out.

✪ ✪ ✪

Natasha, Clint, and I crept in while the other Avengers walked up to Ultron on the catwalk in a black market salvage yard. Ultron was going on a rant about how much he wasn't like Tony Stark, in a very Tony Stark-like fashion.

"Don't compare me with Stark! He's a sickness!"

"Awh, Junior." Tony made his dramatic entrance, Steve and Thor behind him. "You're gonna break your old man's heart."

"If I have to." Ultron shrugged, hate seething from his voice.

"We don't have to break anything," Thor replied, trying to smooth things over.

"Clearly you've never made an omelet," Ultron remarked and I almost laughed.

"He beat me by one second," Tony said to Thor, then turned his attention back to Ultron.

"Ah, this is funny, Mr. Stark. It's what, comfortable? Like old times?" The Maximoff boy stated, Pietro, I think his name is.

"This was never my life." Tony shook his head.

"You two can still walk away from this," Steve tried to reason with them. I smiled, he was all about saving as many people as he could.

"Oh, we will." The Maximoff girl said with a thick accent. My hands started to have a golden hue around them, but Natasha shook her head. I turned my hands into fists and it was gone.

"I know you've suffered--"

"Uuughh!" Ultron groaned. "Captain America. God's righteous man, pretending you could live without a war. I can't physically throw up in my mouth, but..." 

"If you believe in peace, then let us keep it." Thor wagered.

"I think you're confusing peace with quiet."

"Yuh-huh. What's the Vibranium for?" Tony asked and Ultron scoffed.

"I'm so glad you asked that because I wanted to take this time to explain my evil plan," Ultron's robotic voice was dripping with sarcasm. The Iron Legion attacked and Ultron went straight for Tony. 

A battle broke out, Thor and Steve started being attacked by the twins and the Iron Legion at once. I looked at Natasha and she nodded at me.

"It's your time to shine, newbie." I nodded back at her and launched myself up to the catwalk just as the girl tried to hit Steve with her energy, but I put up a shield in front of us, making it bounce right back at her. She narrowly dodged it and I mock pouted.

"Damn, I was aiming for the head." I grinned wickedly as I turned ropes of light flowing from my hand into a lasso and swung it towards her. Steve covered my back as the lasso gripped the girl's torso and I flung her over the catwalk.

Steve threw his shield, but I saw the Maximoff boy coming. It was too late, he punched Steve in the jaw, then kicked me in the chest, sending me flying and slamming my body against a wall. The boy tried to grab Thor's hammer, but it sent him flying off the rails.

"Mae!" Steve slid to my side. "Are you okay?" He gripped my forearm and helped me stand.

"I'll be fine. I'll keep the girl occupied, just keep bots off my back." He nodded, a small grin on his face.

"Yes, ma'am." We jumped off the catwalk and Steve chucked his shield, taking out goons working for Ulysses and bots. A man charged at me and I quickly dodged the attacks and countered them with my own.

I saw a flash of a syringe in one of the bots' hands and I quickly dismantled it, taking the syringe. Horror flooded through my body as I recognized it instantly. 

I grabbed his wrist with both hands and pushed with all my might upward, he was stronger than me.

"Listen, I'm not a big fan of needles so if you could just--" With his free hand, he bent my arm and plunged the syringe into my shoulder. I screamed as whatever the hell that was coursed through my veins.

The Winter Soldier got up and walked away from me. I tried to use my powers but nothing happened. Cold fear gripped my chest.

"Oh fuck," I said, panic stabbing my lungs.

"What happened?" Steve said, jogging up to me. His eyes went wide as I held the needle in my hand. "Is that--"

"The very same." I swallowed my panic and put the syringe in my toolbelt. I pressed my comm. "Ultron's bots have a syringe in their hand, take it out and smash it. The serum stunts my powers and we can't afford that at the moment."

"You got it," Clint responded.

"We got your back, newbie," Natasha grunted, clearing fighting men as she spoke.

"Don't worry about a thing, hot stuff," Tony yelled.

"Lady Maeve, you have my word." Thor flew by us as he spoke.

I looked at Steve, worry still clear on my face. "We got you, Mae." He placed a kiss on my cheek before taking off and fighting again.

I think its time to start playing mind games. I heard one of the bots say and as I rounded the corner, I saw the girl nod. The lasso appeared in my hand.

"I don't think so, kid. I'm not too good at games, I've learned." I swung the lasso around at the bot and pulled my hands together, making it explode into pieces. "I've had my powers longer, kid this fight isn't exactly going to be fair."

She let out a battle cry and red energy flew at me, but I blocked it and swung the lasso around her waist, pulling her straight to me while I swung my fist, landing a punch on her face. She fell to the ground, I jerked the lasso up, sending her spiraling at a brick wall.

A blue blur passed by me and I screamed in pain, dropping to the ground. My veins were on fire and I felt agony ripple my every muscle. The syringe fell next to me, luckily it was only half full. I couldn't do anything but scream.

"Newbie!" Natasha yelled. "Countessa is down, I repeat, Countessa is down!"