14

When the quinjet landed, Steve was fast asleep, leaning on my shoulder. I had manipulated everyone on the ship's dreams so none of them dreamt about what they had just seen. I didn't look into them, of course, I just put up a barrier. 

I gently kissed the top of Steve's head, waking him up. "We're here, soldier."

He looked around sheepishly as I helped him stand up. "Where is here?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Barton said a safe house of some kind." Steve put his arm around me as we all filed out of the jet. We landed on a farm, and that's when something clicked in my head. "This is Barton's house. He was talking about it on the mission as I was... uh... you know."

Steve looked down at me, confused.

"While I was withering in pain on the floor." I used a playful tone, but a dark shadow still cast over Steve's eyes. "I'm okay now, that's all we need to worry about."

"What is this place?" Thor asked.

"A safe house?" Tony inquired as we all stepped through the door.

"Honey?" Clint called. "I'm home." A very pregnant woman walked in from the kitchen area and I felt my eyebrows shoot up as he went forward and kissed her. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

"This is an agent of some kind," Tony said to Thor and I just looked at them, bewildered.

"Gentleman, this is Laura." Clint introduced us to who I assumed was his wife. "Ooh, incoming!" Two children run in and jump into Clint's arms. I looked at Steve, who was just as confused as I was.

"These are...smaller agents," Tony said again to Thor, cautiously.

"Yeah right, Tony," I rolled my eyes.

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The younger girl asked and Natasha's whole face lit up and shook herself from her trace she had been in.

She grinned as she opened her arms. "Why don't you hug her and find out?" Nat rushed to the young girl and scoops her up in her arms.

"Sorry for barging in on you," Steve said, his arm still around my waist.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed." Tony retorted and I elbowed him.

"Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off SHIELD's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Clint said, hugging Laura to his side. Thor suddenly charged out of the room.

Steve went to follow, but I grabbed his arm. "Let me." He nodded and I rushed out, finding Thor in front of the house. "Thor?"

"I saw something in that dream. I need answers, I won't find them here." He said and I placed a hand on his bicep. "I'm sorry, Lady Maeve."

"You don't need to be sorry, Thor," I said. "You come back when you have your answers. We'll be here."

He nodded but hesitated before he took off. He leaned down slightly as if to kiss me but I quickly backed away. "Oh no, I--I don't feel that way." I looked down at my hands. "I'm sorry I lead you on. I just..."

"You thought you were over the Captain," he said slowly and I nodded. "No need to be sorry, lady. I have someone I'm not quite over either." He looked at me for a long time. "You love the Captain and he loves you. Very deeply, Lady Maeve."

I felt my cheeks redden as he planted a small kiss on my cheek. "Be safe, Thor."

He spun his hammer and took off in the sky. I looked back at the porch and saw Steve standing there, his arms crossed. I walked up to him, crossing my arms as well. "How are you holding up?"

"I'll manage." He looked past me. "So you and Thor, huh?"

I snorted. "Me and Thor? God, Steven. Are you really trying that hard to hitch me with someone else?" I shook my head and walked past him, into the house. He didn't follow me back in. An hour later, I was helping Clint and his son remodel the porch, showing off my powers to the kids and keeping them entertained as Barton actually did the work.

I watched as Steve and Tony split wood, listening to what they were saying.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked and Steve shook his head.

"He just kissed Maeve and took off." Steve brought the ax down harshly on the log. " Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception."

"Yeah, just give him time." Tony placed another log on the block. "We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him."

"Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Pulled us apart like cotton candy." Steve sighed, setting up another log.

"Seems like you walked away alright," Tony replied.

Steve's motions stopped as he looked at Tony. "Yeah, watching the love of my life die in a dream, then waking up to her screaming in agony for almost two hours really doesn't have an effect on me."

Clint's head whipped towards mine and I busied myself with nothing, desperately looking for something to do.

"His what?" Clint whispered to me, voice full of amusement and shock.

"I do not know what you're talking about. I can't hear what they're saying," I replied quickly, measuring something that did not need to be measured. "I have never heard anything in my life. In fact," I looked up at him. "I am deaf."

"Oh-ho-ho, I am so telling Nat." Clint got up and I gasped.

"You wouldn't."

"Oh, Stirling," He teased. "but I would." He took off inside the house and I followed right after him, yelling his name.

"Dammit, Barton, get back here!" My heart and my mind were racing at a million miles a minute at Steve's words. God, I get my hands on this cocky son of a bitch--

Clint quickly shut the door and I skid in my tracks. His face looked serious. "Barton, are you alright? I whispered and he quickly leads me away from Natasha and Bruce's room.

"I think we should leave them alone for now."