oneshots - stanley

It was summer. Bill had decided that on our first official day of summer, the whole Losers Club would go to the quarry to swim.

I put on a swimsuit from last summer. I only had two, and I picked the two piece, because Beverly convinced me to wear it, even though sometimes I was insecure about my body.

I rode my bike to the quarry and saw a bunch of bikes already parked among the trees. I threw off my loose dress to show my suit and ran to the edge, and saw the whole group was splashing around in the water.

"Hey, losers! You didn't wait for me?!" I shouted down to my best friends.

"Look who decided to show up!" Richie shouted back, laughing.

"You're late!" Stanley screamed.

"You took forever!" Eddie agreed.

"What were you doing, homework?!" Mike joked.

"Okay, all of you, shut it! I get it, I get it. Well, watch out!" I retorted back.

I took 5 large steps back, like we always did, and took off running. As I reached the edge, I leaped into the air and felt that breathless sensation I always got when jumping from the cliff.

"Hell yeah!" I screamed as I sailed down towards the water.

Splash!

I cannonballed into the water and plummeted underwater for a few seconds before surfacing.

"I'd say that was a five out of ten," Richie teased as I popped out of the water. I flipped him off.

"That was a solid eight," Stanley countered, giving me a high five.

As everyone went back to splashing, I swam over to where Stanley was floated in the water.

"Hey, Stan," I said, grinning ear to ear. There was something about him today. Maybe it was the way the sun shined, or how cute his curly was when it was wet. Or maybe it was that summer bliss. Whatever it was, something about that loser left me a little breathless today.

"Hey, y/n," he smiled back. A real smile. I didn't see those much during the school year. He was always stressed about something. His smile made my heart stop. Oh, god, please no.

I think I had feelings for my best friend.

The rest of the day flew by. I played chicken on Stan's shoulders against Beverly, who was on Bill's shoulders. I won. I won an epic game of Marco Polo. We had another jumping contest, this time with everyone.

At certain times in the day, I felt like everything would slow down. I would like a moment to breathe, and felt my eyes move to stare at him. And every once in a while, he met them.

After we were tuckered our from swimming for a few hours, we set up our towels on a rock near the water. I laid down next to Beverly and felt the sun on my face. I let myself relieve that afternoon in my mind. I wished this day could never end. That we could be kids after what happened last summer. And today, we were. We finally were.

I rolled over after tanning and got up to see Stanley looking right back at me. Getting up, I took off my sunglasses and took a seat between Stan and Richie.

"So, what do we do tomorrow?" I giggled.

"Homework," sighed Ben.

"No way," Eddie replied.

"We've got two months to do that," Beverly said, getting up from her spot and joining us.

"Maybe the arcade?" Richie suggested.

"I'm going to get my ass whopped," I sighed, and the whole group snickered. Out of the whole Losers Club, I was the worst one at arcade games.

Finally, after agreeing to go get ice cream tomorrow, we decided to start heading back.

"Th-this was f-fun, guys," Bill said as we started riding back to our houses.

"Agreed," I said.

"Definitely."

"Let's do it a million times this summer."

Stanley and I lived relatively close to each other, so we took the same road home. But when we road got to my house first, he stopped too. He parked his bike and walked me to the door.

"You don't have to walk me to the door, Stan," I giggled, although I liked it.

"I had a good time today, y/n," he said quickly.

"Me too," I sighed. "I think after last summer, I'm ready to forget and have a real summer."

"Yeah," he said slowly. "Y/n?"

"Yeah?"

And then he kissed me.