Suspicion Rises

*AMY'S POV*

I rolled out of bed, landing on the floor with a pained groan. I forced myself to stand and start getting ready for school, still sore from my literal run-in with Spiderman last night. I sighed and thought over the events that had occurred. DocOck was probably mad at me for leaving before he'd dismissed me, and I knew I should care at least a little, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find it in me to be bothered by that fact. So what if he got mad? He could find a new accomplice. Although... Even if it meant I could focus on school rather than on Butterfly, I knew I didn't want him to find someone else. DocOck was like a father to me, and when I lost my own biological dad, he was there for me. I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door, so lost in my own thoughts that I didn't even see Peter until I ran into him. We both fell, simultaneously crying out in pain. "Ow!"

"Ouch..." Peter glanced up, seeing me also in pain, and got to his feet, offering me a hand, which I took, using it to pull myself back up. "Amy! I am so sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going and that was all me." I shook my head and picked my backpack up.

"No, you're good. I wasn't paying attention either. Are you ok?" He nodded.

"Yeah, just a bit sore. You?"

"Same here, actually. What are you sore from?" A brief look of panic flashed across Peter's face as he stuttered out an answer.

"O-oh! Um... I am sore from... Working out! Yeah, I was at the gym last night. What about you?" he asked, a suspicious look having replaced the panicked one.

"Same. I was also working out. Not at the gym though, obviously, or else I would've seen you. I was just jogging." He looked skeptical.

"Jogging?"

"Yeah."

"At night? In Manhattan? In this neighborhood?" I nodded.

"Yep. Is there a problem with that?" He shook his head.

"Not at all. Except for the fact that this isn't a good neighborhood and the likelihood of you being kidnapped, murdered, or worse is almost at 100%, no, there's no problem. How did you survive? Even I don't go jogging in this neighborhood at night." I bit my lip nervously, unable to tell the truth of why I was sore, and deciding to stick with the lie.

"I can hold my own, Parker. You don't know what I'm capable of." He raised his hands defensively.

"Fair point. I don't. You're right about that. However, we are going to be late for school if we don't hurry, and unless you can hold your own against a detention, we should get going." I nodded and we started speed walking, so as not to be late.

For the most part, we walked in silence; my head was swimming with questions. I already knew something was up with Peter Parker, but now I feared that he knew I wasn't a normal teenager either.