Puppy {Prologue}

"That's a little too much salt, love."

Sora hid in his mother's warm cloak, wrapping himself up in embarrassment.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. You're learning. You're allowed to make mistakes, Sora," Aria told him, gently stroking through his curly white locks.

Sora peered out of the cloak. His tiny hands covered his blushing cheeks. "Did I ruin it, mama?"

"I don't know. Why don't you try it and find out?" Aria watched in amusement as her four-year-old son dipped his finger in the cupcake batter before sticking it in his mouth. Several seconds later his little face scrunched up and he spat it out all over the black kitchen tiles and his bare feet.

The boy stared at the mess he had made, tears welling up in his big, lavender eyes.

"I'm sorry, mama. I didn't mean to!"

Aria picked her boy off the dirty tiles and sat him up on the bench. "Don't be sorry, love. It was an accident. You did nothing wrong." Aria's smooth voice calmed Sora. He let out one last sniffle before Aria picked up a clean cloth, soaked it in warm water and cleaned Sora's feet.

"It tickles! It tickles! No! S-stop!"

His mother let out a soft chuckle, leaning down to kiss the top of his head.

"I'm all done! I promise. Stay put while I clean up the floor. Then we can start a new batch of cupcakes. And we can make them any colour you want!"

"Pink?"

"Pink is perfect."

Sora grinned until his face started to hurt but it couldn't be helped. He finally got to make the cupcakes his favourite colour this time. His father never let him colour them. He said Sora would make the kitchen a mess and it would take forever to get the stains out.

Sora flinched as the back doors slammed against the walls, cracking the glass. Miguel walked through, sweat dripping from his dark skin. Miguel often babysat Sora but the little boy wasn't used to the grim expression he wore.

"Luna, there's an emergency. We're going into lockdown. You need to get Sora and yourself to the Safe Room immediately.

Aria dropped the cloth she was using to wipe the batter off the floor and picked herself up quickly. "What's going on?"

"Rogues."

Her deep brown eyes widened. Dread filled her veins, forcing her to act instantly. She grabbed Sora, holding him tightly to her body.

The safe room was hidden deep in the house through twists and turns and secrets.

Boom!

The ground trembled beneath them, causing Aria to lose her balance. Miguel caught her before she fell, his arms protecting Sora as well. The air hollowed outside before smoke could be seen rising above the village buildings.

"No!" Aria cried as the flicker of orange flames licked the roofs and soared through windows, curtains turning to ash.

"Luna! I have to get you to safety. Right now. Alpha's orders."

"Where is he? Where is he, Miguel?!"

"I'm sure he's fine. Please, Luna."

"Mama?"

"Shush, baby. You're okay. We're okay."

Miguel pressed his large hand against the small of Aria's back. He led them through the long halls, through bookcase entrances, through locked doors, all the way to a fire-proofed steel door. He put in a code known only to the Alpha family and their inner circle. He twisted the heavy safe-like door handle and ushered the two wolves inside.