Puppy {5}

"What do you mean? I thought I didn't have to go to pack meetings until I was eighteen." 

My father looked down on me with stern eyes. "You don't seem to be taking your training seriously at the moment. That is not the way of a true Alpha. I need you focused, Sora. You never know when our pack might fall under attack. We have too many enemies for you to be messing around. You need to grow up." Father held his head high, his aura of power radiating. The Omegas standing by couldn't lift their eyes from their own feet. How I wish I had the luxury to look away from him.  

"I'm sorry, father."

"Don't apologise. Be better."

"Yes, Alpha."

He clapped his hand on my shoulder. "Good. Get ready. Oh, and I'm changing your training schedule; you will only train with pack warriors from now on. No more wasting your time with mutts."

What?

In an instant I was outraged. I stepped up to him, my lilac eyes trained on his apathy. "What are you talking about? You can't do that!" Father towers over me, well above six and a half feet tall. 

"You do not tell me what I can and cannot do Sora. Now step back." I had no choice. My body did as it is told and I stepped away from my father. 

"This isn't fair," I only managed to mumble, my body slightly trembling. 

"You have no idea how unfair life can be. You should be grateful for the things I have given you. Now get ready. We leave within the hour." With that, he walked away. Nothing more. He never did anything beyond what was necessary when it came to me. I missed the stories of extravagant feasts and beautiful performances night after night all in celebration of my mother. I hoped one day life would be brought back to my pack just so I could catch a glimpse of it. 

I scrunched my eyes shut and shook my head of useless thoughts. I had a job to do. I was to be a warrior, a leader of my people. I had to get out of my own head. I may not like it but I am an Alpha and I need to start acting like one. If I fail, I might not be able to protect Elijah. 

Elijah. 

I can't train with him anymore? Why is he doing this? He can't keep isolating him. Elijah is strong, stronger than anyone I know. He's always had to deal with me and my emotional issues and yet he's never once genuinely complained. He has never shown his anger for being cast out as a rogue, never retaliated to the bullying, and never done anything that could hurt me. 

I had to do this for him. 

I turned back to my room and got ready in silence. I didn't know where Elijah was but he didn't come through my window this morning. Sometimes he had breakfast with Miguel instead. I thought it was pretty sweet actually. For all he pretends to not be phased by being an orphan, I know he sees Miguel as a father. In a lot of ways, I do too. Miguel raised me better than my father ever could. I owed it to him for my sanity. 

Training with them kept me going. They helped me to forget the real world and just focus on the people I truly cared about. 

Now I didn't even have that. 

I swung my backpack over my shoulder and headed back downstairs fully dressed for a meeting with our allied packs. Hugh grinned when he saw me, pulling me into a bone-crushing hug. The man was enormous, covered head to toe in leather and fur amour. His curly red hair had been pulled back into braids. He favoured the traditional warrior attire rather than the sleek black and silver the rest of our warriors wore. The materials of our clothing were always considered if we needed to shift quickly, the suits and amour easily came apart when torn but could take a lot of damage head-on.