Puppy {7}

(old drawing of Sora: natural appearance vs how he presents himself)

~Kieran~

I dropped my head in my hands. This English paper would have to wait. Weighted thoughts bounced around my brain, unwilling to relent.

My pack was in danger. I could be dead any day now. I had three assignments due next week. I hadn't even picked out an outfit for the Halloween dance.

My mind stood still for a moment.

The emptiness moulded into Sora. I pictured his face, the way it used to look when we were younger. His pale skin and lavender eyes, furious with me even then. Hair white as snow. It always looked as soft as the clouds above. Once, I grabbed it and shoved his face into a sandpit just to find out if it really was made of clouds.

He'd only recently been on our grounds. I could smell him at the edge, his scent too strong in the wind to miss. He's lucky I didn't kill him. Though I thought about it for a second. What that would be like. I tried to think of any pleasure I might get out of tearing him apart and watching the light finally fade from his pale eyes. It wasn't satisfactory. Somewhere in my body it even disgusted me. He's not allowed to die.

I shook myself out of it, closed my laptop and ran a hand through my hair. I needed to fix myself up. The dance started in a few hours. The least I could do was get out of these sweatpants, stand around in an old gymnasium and talk to my friends. I knew Lio was looking forward to it. She always made the most of dressing up.

My door opened without warning and Jules walked in and fell back onto my bed. He pulled a cigarette out of his jacket pocket but hesitated towards his lighter, feeling the weight of my glare.

"Knock," I said, turning around in my chair. He shrugged and lit the cigarette.

"You should've heard me coming. Something on your mind?" His eyes caught mine briefly. When the smoke got too much for my taste I got up to let some fresh air in.

"Nothing that concerns you. Are you prepared for tonight? You have a job to do." I stepped through to my walk-in closet to go through my options for tonight. Jules rolled his eyes.

"I'm going the extra mile and everything. Picking her up from her house. She agreed to be my date," he said smugly. He scrolled through their messages just to prove to me that she had said he was cute.

"Black or white?" I held up the two suit options I'd picked out. Jules squinted, eyeing them both. He pointed to the white one. I hung the black suit back up. "Tie?" I asked.

"Honestly, I think a white-on-white would be a statement. Add some fake blood for a little something extra." He sat up as I pulled off my shirt, bringing the cigarette away from his lips and releasing his breath.

"I'm not ruining a perfectly good suit for a high school Halloween party."

"Pity."

After I changed, a polite knock at the door called for both of our attention. I gestured to the door. "And that's how you knock."

Jules huffed.

"Come in," I called.

Lio walked in, tightly dressed in a blood-red maxi dress. It hugged her figure from head to toe and was complimented by red heels and a red bow sitting neatly in her hair.