⋆Part 6: Trauma one⋆

"See you then John."

My first week has passed working in the E.R. I've slowly gotten used to the crazy and irregular work pace of this hospital. I have become friends with Carol, we sit with each other at lunch and talk about our day. I still think Doctor Benton is kind of a asshole but he is an amazing physician and I learn a lot from him. I also learn a lot form doctor Greene and Lewis, plus they are nice to me. I work with Carter a lot and I think we are also becoming friends although our conversations are mostly about the patients that we treat together. He's also a bit awkward around me and I don't know why. He's a great guy but we just need to change the subject once in a while so I intended to do that today.

I just ordered my patient some test when the ambulance arrived with a trauma case in it. 'Brooke!' I heard Benton scream and weaving at me. I quickly ran after him outside to the ambulance. There were two workers rolling out an older man. They rolled him inside as Benton and I followed. 'Older man of 70 found unconscious in his room. Heart rate is 80, blood pressure is 170 over 80. They said he had a headache and was very weak this morning.' A young woman said.

'That might be a stroke.' Doctor Benton said as we rushed into trauma one.

'Let's do a Cat scan and X-rays.' He said as the nurses put in an IV. 'And why do we do that Brooke?' He asked as John walked in.

'Because we want to identify what kind of stroke he is having and where in the brain it might be so we can treat it.' I said. 'Good.' Carol said to me and I smiled. The X-ray machine was set up and we all walked out of the room so we wouldn't be exposed to the radiation. They took the picture and one of the nurses went to get them. 'He's waking up.' Carol said and I glanced over at him. 'Hello sir, you're in the ER. Everything is going to be fine.' I said reassuring him but I think he passed out already. We checked his reaction ability and his strength. When the photo's came back we saw that he in fact had a stroke and we needed to treat him quickly.

'Carter, how do we treat an stroke?' Benton asked.

'Thrombosis, you try to dissolve the cloths to improve the blood flow to the brain.' He said. 'Correct.' Benton murmured. The nurses gave him the drugs and the older man stabilized. 'Take him to medical. I think were done here.' Benton said and I threw my gloves away.

'Hey, Val.' I heard someone say, I turned around to find out it was John.

'Hey.' I said back and I saw him let his hand go threw his hair.

'Do you maybe want to grab some lunch later?' he asked out of the blue.

'Yeah, sure.' I replied.

'Great, around twelve?' he asked and he slowly started to walk away. 'Okay.' I answered.

'Meet you at the front desk?' he asked again.

'See you then John.' I laughed and I walked away to my next patient.