Chapter 3

"Now, now Zeke, It's impolite to hit our guests".

Hazel, when she realized that she didn't get slapped, opened her eyes a little bit. What she saw was a tall boy with black hair, holding Zeke's wrist. He was powered up, so his eyes glowed bright orange. The boy turned his attention to the rest of the group.

"Sorry to keep you guys waiting, I had to finish up something," he said, smiling.

Hazel looked at Zeke. He tried to pull his arm from the boy's grasp, but the harder he pulled the tighter the other boy's grip got. The boy looked at Zeke.

"Is there a problem, your highness?" he asked with mock respect, as he let go. Zeke had been pulling so hard that when his hand was released he fell backward. Hazel and the Wellston students laughed.

"Shut up, John" Zeke muttered, rubbing his wrist.

John?

"Thank you, John!" she said. John seemed startled by the remark.

"You're welcome?" He said hesitantly. Then he turned and looked at Hazel as if seeing her for the first time.

"Something wrong?" Hazel asked, confused.

"Um, what year are you in?" he asked.

"I'm in my third year." she responded," I transferred to New Bostin in my second year,"

"Oh, okay," John said as if he had solved a great mystery. "Anyway, what are we doing today, Sera?" he asked turning to Seraphina.

"Sera!!!" Kendrick shouted as if he had never heard anything more outrageous in his life.

What's gotten into him?!, Hazel thought.

"Yeah, that's what John calls me." Seraphina laughed, digging out a pamphlet from her bag. "So, we are supposed to go to the field to play games."

They started walking towards the field. Hazel looked over her shoulder at Kendrick and Atlas. Kendrick was blanked out with a bored look on his face, and Atlas was eyeing John suspiciously. What is up with those two??

"Hey, John" Atlas said.

"Yeah?" John said turning his head to look at Atlas.

"Can I see your nametag?" he asked. For a second a smirk flashed across John's face, but it disappeared as quickly as it had come, Hazel was the only one who saw it.

"Sure!" John said, right before taking off his nametag and handing it to Atlas. Atlas took it, looked at it, and stopped walking, then Claire, Adrion, and Kendrick stopped, one by one until the whole group had stopped.

"...what?" Atlas shrieked, "What does this even mean?!". Now, Hazel was curious.

"What? What is it?" she asked.

Atlas turned to John, "Your status is Joker?!"

"Let me see that..." Hazel said, snatching the nametag. Atlas was right, John's nametag read:

John Doe

Wellston High School

Status: Joker

Group: 57

"Wow..." Hazel said, "How does that work?"

"Can I see it?" Claire asked. Hazel handed the nametag over to Claire and Claire put it between her and Adrion so that they could both read it.

"Now, aren't you glad I'm not the King?" John said slyly, crossing his arms. Kendrick scoffed.

"I don't know if Joker is much better..."

"Yes, well, we have things to do, places to go, people to meet," John said, taking his name tag back, "so we should keep moving."

As they reached the court, the coach announced their arrival.

"And there's the last group! So, today we will be playing dodgeball. At the beginning of the game, you have to run back to your line before you can throw the ball. If you hit someone with a ball they are out. Headshots count. If you catch the ball you will not be out. If a ball touches the ground it is dead, so you can't roll a ball and get someone out. Any questions?" he explained. Hazel raised her hand. "Yes!" he said, pointing to Hazel.

"Are we allowed to use our abilities?" Hazel asked.

"um," the man said, looking around, "I think that it would be fine for everyone except for you, Arlo," he said, pointing at a tall, blond boy in the back.

"I'm sure I'll be fine," said the boy.

"Okay, then! I want Teams 38, 71, 63, 45, and 2 on this site and Teams 76, 57, 19, 80, and 24 on that side." Everyone went with their groups to the side that they were assigned. Hazel powered up. This is going to be fun.

The game started and she used her ability to run up and grab two balls and be back on the line in about 2 seconds. While people were running back to the line on the other side Hazel threw both of them, hitting two unsuspecting students in the back of the head. Seeing that she had a speed ability, a lot of people aimed their shots at her. When they threw them, she caught two and zoomed away before she could get hit by the others. She threw the two balls that she caught and, without the element of surprise, one of the students dodged it.

She zoomed towards the back and sees John looking at her. He had powered up and when he saw her looking at him he gave her a thumbs-up and then he sped off towards the front.

Hm? Do we have the same ability? Hazel marveled over this for a while, watching John. Then she saw John run over towards Isen, who hadn't powered up yet. He ran over and started talking to him and he mimed throwing a dodgeball while talking. Then, Isen said something and John pointed over at Hazel, Isen following his finger. Upon seeing Hazel, he smirked, powered up, and hit the nearest enemy student with the ball he had been holding, right in the middle of the chest. John said one more thing and ran to the front, picked up a ball, and chucked it to the other side, hitting another student in the middle of the chest just like Isen had. "..." What kind of ability does this guy have?