Truth or Dare

"Where did you get that?" Wyatt asked Cherry, his brows furrowed.

"Does it matter?" She shot him a look.

"Who cares!" Wendy jumped up. "This is exactly what we need right now."

"Should we be drinking when your parents are like five feet away? What if one of them wakes up?" Kate asked, and Cherry turned to her with a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry. Even if they do, they'll have no idea we're drinking."

So are they best friends now? They painted each other's nails, and the next thing you know, they are ready to braid each other's hairs. Kate is so uptight and conservative, and Cherry is such a free spirit. Not exactly ideal.

Oliver and Wendy got busy passing everyone drinks around in mugs. To anyone who didn't know, we looked like we were just sitting around the fire, enjoying some hot mocha. And Wendy was pleasantly surprised when I accepted the drink from her without any argument.

"Are you going to be okay drinking that?" Harry asked.

"Are you?" I raised a brow and gulped the drink down, squeezing my eyes shut as I felt the burn in my throat.

He shook his head in amusement and turned away. I mean, I have had drinks a few times in my life, but I don't remember anything bad coming out of it.

"Okay, time for a scary story!" Oliver exclaimed.

"Au fun! Let's hear one." Wendy chimed.

I laughed at her excitement and sneaked a look at Wyatt, once again to find him staring at me. My heart did a backflip as I met his gaze. I expected him to look away as soon as our eyes met, but his expression remained unreadable as he held my gaze.

"Okay, so like all good horror stories, this is inspired by true events." I heard Oliver say.

I was fully aware that I should not be so blatantly fixated on Wyatt, but my eyes remained focused on him like I was in a trance. Suddenly the weather wasn't so cold anymore, and I felt heat creeping up to my cheeks, making me feel all hot.

"Want a refill?" Harry asked, diverting my attention.

"Sure." I smiled to cover up my embarrassment.

"I've gotta take a piss." Will stood up.

"That's what they all say right before they die," Oliver said, but Will ignored him, walking away.

"Okay, so this happened years ago." Oliver started, his voice ominous. "For those who don't know, this place is known for the legend of the four-eyed witch. She used to steal children and eat them. And they say that she turned anyone who came to look for them into a tree. So the forest is filled with the ghosts of all the children she ate, and all these trees you see are someone the witch turned a very long time ago. So a while back, a group of students came here on a school trip, and they did what any high school kid on a school trip would do. They swam, they ate, they played games. And then night came around. They had a bonfire going just like this one and some booze and music. When the party started to die down, the group decided to explore the woods and see what was out there. They walked around for a while, and then they heard what sounded like a child's laughter. For a second, they thought it was just in their heads. But as they went further into the woods, the laughter got closer. Not just closer, but it wasn't a single voice anymore. It sounded like a bunch of kids running around playing and laughing. They searched and searched but couldn't find anyone. And then the laughter suddenly died down, and a horrifying scream filled the woods. The group panicked, and they all run whichever way they could, getting separated in the process. As they run, they all had a similar unsettling feeling of being watched." Oliver looked around as if searching for something to give the story a dramatic effect. "And then these ghostly like children appeared to them filling the woods, running around in every direction as they whispered "Hide. She is coming!" and one by one, the four-eyed witch appeared to all of them. And as she stared down at each and every one of them with her four terrifying red eyes and a chillingly creepy smile, they felt frozen on the spot, their bodies stretching in every direction painfully as they slowly turned into a tree. She only left one boy alive so he can go tell people what happened. And it is said that he was so disturbed, he lived the rest of his life in a mental asylum. Legend has it that at night the trees come to life and whisper the most horrifying things into your ears, slowly driving you into insanity." He turned his voice down an octave. "As for the four-eyed witch, she still roams around waiting for her next soul."