A Harry Fever

September 24

I've been drinking plenty of water lately due to my skin clearing plans. But that meant I had to go to the bathroom to pee one hundred times a day. Today in World History, I felt like my bladder was about to burst, so I asked to have a bathroom break. And Mr. Brook said I could go.

When I came back, Colette Baton shot me an evil smile.

"Why do you ask for a bathroom break in every period, Merida? Do you have diarrhea?"

Everyone laughed, and then she went.

"Eww, I think Merida has something contagious."

Of course, Colette is the one who gave me the nickname. I think some people actually think it's my real name, like my lab partner Bridgette, for example. Before we were assigned as partners, she thought my name was really Merida. But even after she learned that it wasn't, she refused to call me Alice.

Hearing Colette, the girl next to me, and the boys that sit behind me, left their chairs to sit at the front. Mr. Brook just stood there looking very uncomfortable. But then I saw Charlie making sure every single one of them returned back to their seats by passing them threatening notes. When I told Wendy what happened at lunch, she said I should have defended myself.

"You gotta stand up for yourself every now and then, Allie!"

Will nodded, agreeing.

"I do, sometimes." I defended. "Don't I?"

They both shook their heads.

I made a list of goals at the beginning of the year. And so far, no progress whatsoever.

"I also think you should start dating. Charlie is a great guy. Why not give him a chance? I mean, Harry is being totally dense, and you need some spice in your life." Wendy said.

I rolled my eyes.

I've always thought Charlie was good-looking and all, but I can't date one guy when I love another. That just doesn't make any sense.

"She is right. You do need some spice in your life." Will agreed. "A lot of guys find redheads really hot, you know."

I scrunched my face.

"They sound like creeps. I have got spice in my life, guys! Okay?"

"Yeah, sitting at home scrolling through my brother's Instagram." She looked pointedly at me. "Sounds very spicy."

"Hey! I don't do that anymore."

"I know you do."

"Well, what about you? You don't date!" I retaliated, wanting the attention off me.

I hate talking about dating.

"She is still waiting for Mr. Darcy to get over his pride and ask her out," Will said, laughing.

Henry Dowson is Charlie's best friend and the first and last boy Wendy has ever had a crush on. He transferred to our school in fifth grade, and they became friends. By seventh grade, it seemed obvious to everyone that they liked each other. But he never made a move. He was handsome, and he came from old money. All the girls in our grade swooned over him. I guess, with all the attention he got from everyone, he naturally expected her to be the one to pursue him. And so, Will thought it was fitting that we called him Mr. Darcy. But our Wendy never did the chasing, and in time, their attraction fizzled out.

"How can I date?" She said with exasperation. "It's impossible to attract anyone in this bloody school skirt!"

Will rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, that's the reason. Because you don't get asked out nearly every day!"

After school, I went to Wendy's because she said she'd help with a math assignment, something about a Triangular Prism. I didn't even hear the question in class because I was trying so HARD not to pee right there. I wanted to ask if I could go to the bathroom, but I couldn't bring myself to after what happened in World History.

While we were trying to do the assignment, Harry came home. And I could NOT concentrate on what Wendy was saying. She got mad and said maybe Harry should help me. That gave me an idea, and I went and asked him for help.

God! Harry is gorgeous! It's impossible not to get lost in his clear blue eyes and the passion he conveys while he does almost anything. He is so calm and composed all the time. And quiet. I like that he is so quiet. It makes me value his words.

His phone kept ringing at some point, but he put it on silent and left it there. I almost didn't hear anything he said as he explained everything in great detail. But when he asked questions, and I gave correct answers, he would reward me with a smile that turned my heart to liquid.

When we finished, I thanked him and made a move to stand up. He was trying to hand me back my pen and his fingers accidentally brushed against my bare knees. We both froze and stared at each other. My face got all hot instantly, and I couldn't breathe.

Harry cleared his throat.

"You're smart, Allie. I don't even know why you thought you needed my help." He said casually, handing me the pen.

Gah! There is no doubt in my mind that I am completely in love with Harry. And that he is completely unaware.

"You're a good tutor." I smiled, and his eyes dropped to my lips, lingering for a second.

When he reached over and brushed his thumb against my lower lip, I died. Or lived. I'm not sure which.

"Why don't you come here like you used to anymore?" He asked.

"I... Ah..."

"Harry!" Wendy swung the door open, and we both stepped back, creating space.

"What?" He looked over at her with annoyance.

"Uh... Fay is on the phone for you." She said, looking back and forth at us.

"On the landline?" His brows shot up.

Wendy shrugged.

"Apparently, you're not picking up your phone. She says it's urgent."

He let out a sigh and walked out.

"What in the bloody hell was that?" I groaned. "You couldn't tell her he wasn't here?"

"Did I interrupt something?" She asks, and I glare at her before walking past her.

"Did I?" She asks, following me.

My cheeks were still stained red, and I was hot all over when I went back to Wendy's room. There were a few occasions in which I almost believed Harry felt the same way towards me.

Like that night in the first week of summer, I had a sleepover with Wendy, and I couldn't fall asleep. So I went to the living room to watch TV, but Harry was already there. When I told him I couldn't sleep, he offered to change the channel. He made popcorn just for me because he didn't like it. And then he let me watch Legally Blonde for the hundredth's time.

We watched it in silence till we somehow ended up falling asleep on the couch. I woke up first to find an arm around me and my back pressed against his chest, his soft breath tickling the back of my neck softly. My heart was beating so loud I was afraid it would wake him up. I wanted to stay like that forever, but I didn't want Mr. And Mrs. Clairmont to walk in on us in the morning like that. So without really wanting to, I slowly shook him awake.

I assumed he would be freaked out when he took in the way we fell asleep. But to my surprise, a lazy smile came across his face, and he pulled me against him tighter, snuggling up to me.

"Just a few more minutes." He whispered.

I couldn't believe my ears. I laid still, letting him hold me. But eventually, I had to get back to Wendy's room and him to his own. I laid awake all night after that replying those few minutes in my mind a thousand times over. I wondered what it all meant. If he liked me the way I liked him. Then morning came, and it was as if it never happened.

Note to self: Drink less water.