21

Selina never had much need of a pantry. Usually she only had a few days worth of food at a time, basically what she could stuff in her pockets. It would easily fit in the cupboard next to her tiny fridge. She had quickly gone through the peanut butter, the milk, and most of the eggs, but three days after Bruce's 'gift' arrived, there were still little piles of food in her pantry and littered around Selina's flat.

Ivy's visit was unannounced, as were all her visits. Selina was napping on the couch, a half-eaten apple in her hand, with Otto sleeping on her chest when the redhead burst through the door. The sound startled both of the sleepers to awareness. Otto hissed and shot out of the room, scratching Selina's stomach as he leapt to safety. Selina swore and threw her apple at the intruder. It sailed across the room and bounced off Ivy's denim-clad thigh.

"Ow! Rude!" Ivy said as she shut the door. She pursed her lips, rubbing the wet mark the apple had left.

"I'm rude?!" Selina yelled. "You broke into my flat! You're lucky an apple is all you got. What are you even doing here?"

"I wanted to see you," Ivy shrugged. "I missed you. I brought you a present." She produced a crumpled newspaper from her coat pocket. She handed the paper to Selina for inspection.

"There's a record level of crime in Gotham? What else is new?" Selina said, looking at the front page.

"Look on page A7, in the 'Gossip' column. You're famous." The redhead pointed then she looked around the room in bewilderment. "What's with all the food? Did you rob a grocery store or something?"

"Don't ask," Selina muttered, turning pages. Her eyes went wide when she saw what Ivy wanted her to see. "What the hell?"

"Congratulations? Is it true?" Ivy's forehead crinkled. "I thought you said he wasn't your boyfriend."

"It's complicated." Selina didn't want to explain.

Ivy scoffed. "Um, yeah. I'm sure, but you're really pregnant?" She asked, biting into an fresh apple.

Selina shrugged.

"Oh my God!" Ivy clasped her hand over her mouth. "I thought it was just weird newspaper stuff. Are you getting married? We're friends, you have to tell me these things."

"I'm not getting married. That's stupid." Selina crossed her arms.

Ivy scoffed and made a face at her. "You're stupid."

Selina rolled her eyes. "I didn't mean you were stupid... Stupid. I meant getting married is stupid. I'm not having a shotgun wedding."

"Why aren't you living with him in that big house, though?" Ivy crossed her arms, mimicking Selina's stance. "That's pretty crappy of him to kick you out on the street."

"He didn't kick me out. Not that it's any of your business, but I left." Selina shrugged.

"Why?" Ivy asked. "That place is awesome. There's hot water, and lots of food, and a butler to wait on you day and night."

"And you're watched and judged all the time and you never get a moment to yourself and you can't leave when you want to," Selina complained. "Alfred thinks I'm trash. I don't belong there."

"So you're just going to live on the street with a baby?" Ivy asked.

"I don't know," Selina shrugged and replied firmly.

"Are you going to have an abortion?" Ivy pressed.

"I don't know," Selina said quieter and closed her eyes. Her lashes were damp.

Ivy came and wrapped her arms around the shorter girl. Selina, unused to this kind of contact let her friend hug her. After a few beats she hugged back. Her tears fell on the fabric of Ivy's coat like shimmering raindrops.

The stress of the last few weeks had finally caught up. Selina's knees buckled and they both ended up on the floor, her sobs shaking them both.

After a few minutes, Selina got her voice back. She wiped her face on the back of her sleeve.

"I'm sorry," she apologized weakly. "I just want things to go back to normal."

"Well," Ivy started, "things were never really normal."

Selina let out a sound between a laugh and a cough. "You know what I mean."

"I have an idea," Ivy said as her green eyes brightened.

Selina's eyebrows raised a bit. "Anything dangerous?"

Ivy always had some scheme. As normal as she could seem, she always had a little crazy just below the surface.

"Maybe...," Ivy's face feigned an apology, though her eyes shone with a promise of mischief.

"Okay." Selina was resigned. "Let's do it."

A night out was just what Selina needed. If they got in some trouble, even better.