38

"We're going to visit this store today," Bruce announced at breakfast, his mouth full of toast.

Alfred squinted at the newspaper ad Bruce was holding up. The ad was for a store whimsically named Nest. It depicted an elaborately lacy nursery scene.

"I want to convert a few of the guest rooms into a permanent suite for Selina and the baby." Bruce explained. "Find me a contractor that can be discreet."

"Don't you think it's a bit early to be redecorating?" Alfred asked between sips of tea.

"No," Bruce said definitively. "It will be a nice surprise for Selina. We have the space and it's silly for her to stay in a guest room long term."

"I didn't realize Ms. Kyle had agreed to move in," Alfred said with thinly veiled contempt.

"She hasn't," Bruce said hesitantly. "Yet. She will."

"I see," Alfred said knowingly.

"She will," Bruce insisted. "Selina's stubborn but she'll do what's best for the baby. She's not going to live on the street."

"Alright, then," Alfred relented. "We'll go to this baby store and get started on the new wing."

"I could bribe the doctor to tell me the sex," Bruce mused to himself from the backseat of the Rolls Royce as Alfred maneuvered into a parking space. "One hundred thousand dollars should do it, right? You don't think Selina would get too mad, do you?"

"You leave that doctor alone now." Alfred's disapproving eyes met Bruce's in the rear view mirror. "You should try to stay in Ms. Kyle's favor the best you can, Master Bruce. If she doesn't want to know then you don't get to either."

"Fine," Bruce pouted.

"Buck up, Master Bruce," Alfred consoled. "You'll know soon enough. Then you'll have a whole new set of things to worry about."

"I suppose," Bruce sighed. "We'll just have to get everything in neutral colors."

Bruce's eyes went wide when he saw the inside of the store. There were cribs, rocking chairs, and playpens as far as the eye could see.

"How do I choose?" Bruce looked at Alfred with wide, questioning eyes.

A peppy saleswoman approached them. She had a cheesy smile on her face and a bounce in her step.

"Welcome to Nest. I'm Trish. What can I help you find?" She addressed Alfred, ignoring Bruce entirely.

"Well -" Alfred started.

"We need to furnish a nursery," Bruce cut in.

"Wonderful," Trish gushed. Still looking at Alfred she added, "That's so sweet of your son to help."

"He's not -" Alfred tried but Trish continued talking.

"When is your wife due?" She asked sweetly.

"She's... she's not my wife," Alfred answered.

"I'm so sorry," Trish apologized. "Your girlfriend then."

"My girlfriend," Bruce corrected. "Is due in six months. It's also my money so you can address your questions to me."

"I-I'm sorry," Trish stammered, her smile faltering. "I didn't mean to..."

"I know I'm young but I'm precocious," Bruce added with a smirk.

"Okay, then. Sorry," Trish focused on Bruce and readjusted her blinding smile. "What's your budget?"

"Money's not an object," Bruce said coolly. "I want the best."

"Great!" Trish exclaimed, dollar signs practically dancing in her eyes. "Let me show you our new line. It's an all oak set based on heirloom designs. Your girlfriend is going to love it."

"Sounds nice." Bruce turned to his butler. "Don't you think, Alfred?"

"Yes, Master Bruce, it sounds very nice," Alfred agreed.

"What colors were you thinking of? Do you know if you're having a girl or a boy yet?" Trish clasped her hands together enthusiastically.

"Not yet. Selina's..." Bruce trailed off trying figure the best way to phrase what he wanted to say. After a second he decided on, "We want to be surprised."

"Of course," Trish said nodding understandingly. "That's very sweet."

Two hours later, with Trish's help, Bruce had spent more than a middle class family's yearly income on baby-related furniture and linens. Trish happily ran Bruce's credit card as an older woman, presumably her boss, looked on.

"There will be no charge for delivery, Mr. Wayne," Trish said cheerfully after the older woman whispered something in her ear.

"Have it delivered here," Bruce said as he wrote down his address. "How long will it take?"

"It will be about a week," Trish said. "How is Friday morning around ten?"

"That will be perfect," Bruce said smiling. "Thank you so much for your help."

"You're very welcome," Trish said, also smiling. "Selina is going to love it. She's a lucky girl."

Bruce beamed. He hoped she was going to get a good commission for this sale.

...

"Where to now, Master Bruce?" Alfred asked when they were safely back in the car.

"I wonder if Selina wants to go to lunch," Bruce said as he dialed.

The phone rang once before a computerized voice answered.

"Hm," Bruce said with annoyance. "It's going to voicemail. She must have forgotten to charge her phone."

He left a message for her to call him back.

"What's the use of giving her a phone if she doesn't use it?" He asked Alfred rhetorically.

Alfred simply shrugged.

"The GPS tracker says she's still at the club where we dropped her off yesterday," Bruce noted. "Can we go by and check on her?"

"You shouldn't be tracking her, Master Bruce," Alfred said with a warning tone. "Remember what I said about giving that girl her space. Leave her be and she'll turn up when she's good and ready. She always does."

Bruce considered the advice. As much as he hated leaving Selina unattended, Alfred's words made sense. When she was pushed, Selina tended to act rashly, often that involved her running and/or hiding. She wouldn't like Bruce showing up unannounced to save her. How much trouble could she have possibly gotten in anyway?

"Okay," Bruce relented. "But take the scenic route home. I want to stay in town a little while in case she calls back."

"Of course," Alfred agreed. He set off at a leisurely pace.