Chapter 23

Three days later, Kakashi was allowed to officially leave the hospital and he was incredibly glad about it. Being in that white room 24/7 had been driving him crazy and had only worsened his condition. When Tsunade realised that, and it was only after Orochimaru and Mikoto had talked to her, she reluctantly let him leave.

Currently, he sat in his new bedroom in the Uchiha Clan Head house and waited for everyone to be asleep. This morning, Mikoto had brought him here and officially declared him a part of the Uchiha Clan. Little Itachi had been ecstatic when Mikoto had told him that he'd be his big brother for real now and the first time Itachi had visited him in the hospital - a day after he'd woken up - the young child had cried and not let go of Kakashi for hours.

~Flashback~

Kakashi had been awake for a couple of hours when Mikoto returned with Itachi in tow. The Uchiha Matriarch had spent the entire night next to Kakashi's hospital bed, holding his hand and singing to him softly. It was one of the rare nights where the time traveler hadn't been plagued by nightmares. In the morning she had to leave, but promised to return with Itachi later on.

Whilst she was gone, Kushina and Rin had come back to drown him in pity and affection. Fortunately, they had to leave soon and Kakashi was alone again, until now, when Mikoto and Itachi came in.

"Kashi-nii?" whispered Itachi wobbly and let go of is mother's hand. His dark eyes were widened and brimmed with tears. The child didn't hesitate to run towards his big brother, cradle into his hospital bed and wrap his small hands around the time traveler's body. 

Mikoto was ready to pull her youngest away from the silver-haired boy, remembering how he disliked physical contact, but Kakashi only wrapped his hands -although trembling- around Itachi too and caressed his raven hair.

"Hello otouto. How are you?  Have you been a good boy for Mikoto?"

Quiet whimper and sobs rocked Itachi's small body. and there was a numb feeling of pain in Kakashi's chest. It fed his insanity too and crumbled on the small bits of himself that Mikoto and Anko had been able to put together again to see the child so upset. Why did he always hurt the people closest to him? Was he really such a monster?

"I've been good j-just like you told me to," whimpered Itachi. "Please, please, please don't leave me alone again! I swear I'll be good. I'll help Kaa-chan with the washes, I'll always tidy up my room, I'll train really really hard, just please don't leave me, Nii-san!"

Kakashi felt a burning sensation in his eyes as if tears wanted to fall but he was unable to cry. How could he hurt an innocent child so much? And he couldn't even promise him to stay because he already knew he'd be leaving soon. 

"I-I'm sorry otouto," whispered Kakashi sorrowfully. "I'll try to stay, but you don't have to do anything for it, okay?"

"Hmm. Kaa-chan said you'll move in with us and be my big brother, is that true?" asked Itachi and snuggled closer to Kakashi.

A small sad smile grazed the time traveler's face and he replied: "Yes. Your Kaa-chan is very kind and took me in a-after.... Anyway, I'm already your big brother and you can always count on me."

Itachi's tears slowly stopped and a happy smile adored his small face.

"I love you,Nii-san."

Kakashi gasped quietly, the last person to tell him this was his father, and look how he ended!

"L-love you too, otouto."

"I hate war," whispered Itachi suddenly and looked up to Kakashi. "I don't want to hurt people."

"You won't have to," answered Kakashi determined and tightened his grip around the small boy. "I'll make sure of it."