Chapter I: Thyme

Fall is about appearances. How the leaves are slowly dying but put up a pretty facade, so they never have to show their weakness to the world. Honestly, fall is about realizing how messed up our lives really are, how everyone is breaking down on the inside but making a good show of it. And if I understand anything at all, it's making a good appearance.

Winter is about showing your true colors, who you really are. Because a dirty rag will always stand out on top of freshly fallen snow. It's about the world finding out who you are, try as hard as you might to hide it.

Summer is about resilience. It's about staying true to who you are and what you do. Resisting the heat, enduring the pain, summer is a summary of life. It's fighting for what you want and what you believe. I've always been a fighter.

Then there's Spring. I've always hated spring. Spring is about knowing who you are and being who you are. The only problem is no one ever tells you what you're supposed to be. What if you don't know? What happens then?

I hate Mondays. As I glance outside the window at the falling leaves, I hear the whistling of the wind, blowing through the trees' branches as if they're screaming. Screaming for what? I wouldn't know. I hear Grandma screaming from the next room, she's having nightmares again. Even though I know that waking her up will only make it worse, my hands itch to push open her door and shake her awake. And my feet itch to run. That's what I do best, isn't it? Run. So I pick up my bowl of cereal and dump it into the sink. Dragging my bag behind me, I pushed the door open and slammed it shut. Even for me, this is a ridiculous time to leave the house. I know I'm going to be unbelievably late. Glancing over my shoulder at our slightly tumbledown house, I can't slip into the forest quickly enough.

"Hey Toad," as for June's oh-so-annoying voice cut through the air, I felt obliged to massage my tympanic membrane as I quickened my pace. Just what I needed on Monday morning. I heard his footsteps quicken trying to catch up to me. "It's impolite to ignore your betters. You're quite a rude toad aren't you?"

"And you, sir, are a gormless pillock," I answered, mimicking his British accent. I didn't even break my stride as he caught up with me. His face was pinched in anger and I didn't even flinch as he shoved me against a tree trunk. That was sure to leave a bruise.

"Didn't your mother teach you manners?" he snarled, his breath hot against my face, "Oh that's right she's dead isn't she?" This was normally where I would have kneed him in the family jewels and walked away but as my gaze settled on a silhouette behind him, a satisfied smirk was painted on my face.

"Shut up."

"Or what?" he smirked as if doubting my ability to knee him in the groin, "It's not like you can beat me up. You can't even lay a finger on me." And I wouldn't.

"Maybe not," my own smirk deepened, "But she certainly can," He turned to see the dark silhouette as she emerged out of the shadows. I could see what June was seeing, the wolf edging towards him. "If I were you, I'd start running," I smiled as a snarl of agreement ripped out of her throat. As she stalked closer to him, June was frozen for a second before the logical part of his brain clicked on and told him to run.

I watched him run, glad that he hadn't been able to see what I had seen. The violet color in my eyes replicated in the wolf's. Nope, he had been too focused on her sharp fangs and strong muscly legs to notice. Honestly, I couldn't blame him, she was huge.

You know this would never be happening if you would just listen to me for half a second.

"I don't want your advice Athaliah, I just need a ride. Are you willing to give?" Thali's huge eye roll did not escape my attention as she lied down and gestured at me to hop unto her back.