"" Chapter 27

8 months.

It's been 8 months since I jumped out of the car and shifted into my wolf.

8 months of staying in my wolf form. I've lived off of deer, coyotes and wild boars. I caught my very first black bear 4 months ago. My wolf was very proud and shared with the pack of runts that we've taken over.

I was alone for the first 3 weeks. After catching a deer the pack of runts came upon me and acted as if they were more than me. After fighting off and injuring the so called "alpha" of the group, they knew exactly what I was. A Luna. Not a runt. Not just any ordinary wolf.

These wolves followed me everywhere. They slept when I slept. Moved when I moved. I was their leader and they were my family.

We were now huddled together in a built in cave as the cold winters bite tried to to catch us. It's been snowing nonstop for days now and I start to feel my skin wrap around my ribs as hunger gnaws at me. At us. I look at the brownish gold wolf next to me. She has became my ally through this process. I have decided to call her Hazel because of her eyes. She's the only runt of the pack that has hazel eyes.

It's been at least 2 months since our last meal together. Winter hit us hard and without warning. I feel almost nauseated when I think about about how I might have just let my pack down. These runts who I have been taking care of for months now are going to die a slow painful death because I didn't practice the art of hibernation.

I've never had to deal with this harsh of winter before. Im not prepared.

At moments like this I wish I did have Eli here. My chest pains for a second thinking about him. I just needed a break. I didn't like the way he screamed at me like that. He reminded me of Frank and that frightened me.

I stood up from the comfort of the huddled pack and shake the excess snow off my fur and begin to slowly walk out of the cave to see if I could sniff something out. Anything. I felt the tug on my coat as Hazel tries to pull me back with nips. I make a low growl at her letting her know to back off. She starts whining as if trying to plead with me to stay put. I give her another low growl and she stops.

I can't let them starve. I walk out of the shallow cave and almost yelp in pain as frostbite attacks my paws and ears. I turn around and am almost frightened when I realize that I can't even see my den anymore. I've only taken a few steps away but the storm is so strong I can't see a foot in front of me.

I keep trotting at least for another 10 minutes before I catch a very faint scent of a rabbit and try my best to follow its trail. My nose is dripping as ice freezes over it prohibiting functional use. Warmth is starting to take over my paws, legs, face, ears ... or is that numbness I'm feeling? I can't tell but I push forward anyway.

I am now on the ground crawling. I can't feel my legs. My wolf lets out a low whine as I feel my body growing tired weak. I lie down and try to look for any nearby shelter I could get to. I see nothing but harsh white surrounding me. I lie my head down on my front paws and everything turns cold and black.

Did I close my eyes?

Did i die?

Is this what death feels like?

I feel my body being lifted in the air and the warmth of a body flushed against mine.

"Wake up, baby girl"