♡☆4☆♡

Soviet rushed to his son, who's cheeks were stained with tears. He didn't ask any questions; he simply stood there in the doorway, holding Russia. Ukraine and Germany were the same age, three years younger than Russ, and knew what was happening from all the tones they had witnessed it. "D-dad?" Germany was almost whispering. "I think it's America". Soviet's eyes widened. "I thought...." He held Russia closer. "I don't mind if you work with him, but only do it if you think you can. If he does anything..." His eyes flashed with an emotion that was one of the scariest things in the world to their family- pure, Soviet anger. Russia looked up at his dad, looked down, and went upstairs to his room. As he stared at the ceiling, his phone buzzed. He pulled out it if his pocket.

He didn't recognize the number, but it seemed to recognize him.

Hi Russia, please don't block my number...

He knew at once who it was; America had gotten a hold of his phone number. He sighed a pained sigh, then responded with hesitation.

What in sam hill do you want?

I'm really sorry. And i know that's not going to fix it, so I want to prove it to you. Tomorrow, can we maybe start over?

Russia stared down at his phone. He wanted to start over? Start over? Why should he... Well... maybe it would be for the best if he did. He rolled the thought over in his head, over and over, until he texted back.

Fine.

America, on the other side of the phone, smiled the biggest smile he had in a while. He remembered the way he looked at him that morning; Disgusted, afraid, angry. He hated it, and for that reason, he wanted to make up for it. For all of it. He shut off his phone and went to the kitchen to get some doughnuts.

"Your really eating more of those? Your going to get fat". America's father, UK, glanced at him coldly. He always had a high disregard for his older son, always the rebel. America didn't respond, he didn't really care anymore. He used to look up to his dad, but over the years, and after the divorce, he started to hate him more and more. He missed his mom, but she had moved far away by now. He Took the doughnut box up to his room, put in his headphones, and started up at his ceiling. How do you make somebody who hates you, is scared of you, think of you in a good way? He had no clue.

~~~

Russia woke up the next morning and briskly showered in the way he did, dressed, and put on his ushanka. He woke up at a fairly nice time, so he could leave as soon as he was ready. He stepped out into the chilled autumn air, and made his way to the Coffee Bean.

At a table, America was chatting with a neko in a navy sailor uniform. Though he didn't know her, he recognized her as Japan. "So did you draw me anymore hen- Oh hi Russia!" America, though nervously, smiled at the tall country. Russia tried to smile at him, but really just couldn't. However, he did respond. "Good morning, America". Japan smiled at Russia, which made him slightly uncomfortable. He wasn't to fond of girls, mainly because of America's grade school girlfriend Philippines. She always sneered at him, and was America's right hand man- well, lady.

He headed to the backroom to wash his hands before beginning to prepare food. He sighed to himself. America was really making an effort, that was for sure. But how did he know that it wasn't just a front? Lots of nice people were really just the results of fronts. God, he wanted a bottle of peach vodka. He turned off the water and into the kitchen. Of course! America was walking toward him with that look of eerie happiness. His eyes weren't filled with hate, no, he would have known. It was something else. Sorrow, maybe? "Since your working the kitchen today, I came to ask of you could make Japan a hot chocolate with cat shaped marshmallows". "I"ll pay you back once our shift is up" he quickly added. "Do you... want anything?" Russia asked with reluctance. "Oh, um.... a triple shot energy mocha, with a lot of sugar". He nodded and began the order.

~~~

It was five o'clock sharp, closing time. The last customer had left about fifteen minutes ago, and so had Columbia (but not without a friendly conversation and a free chocolate chip cookie). America and Russia were in the back, wiping down surfaces and packing up ingredients. The other employees- Poland, South Korea, Japan, and Norway- were chatting in the lobby about the party that.... huh?

America and Russia worked with some quiet conversation. Russia moved swiftly and without hesitation to avoid being too close to America. After all, he barely trusted him to any degree and they were alone in the back of the cafe. Once they finished, the shorter of the two pulled out his phone. He turned off airplane mode (he was easily distracted and was too lazy to power off his phone) and began to look through his messages. "Woah dude, it sounds like your step-bro is hosting a huge party at your place tommorow night!"