~~10~~

Russia's eyes fluttered open. Sunlight streamed through the window- when  was the last time he had slept so long, or so well? He looked down, America sleeping like a cat curled up in his grasp. He just watched him- slow, steady breaths, his hands in paw-like fists. Peaceful. Quiet. So... Beautiful. What? He rubbed his back in small circles with his palms, not moving otherwise. However, he still woke up. He yawned, stretched out his legs, and looked up at Russia. "Good morning, Russ".

Russia released him from the hug. "Well, now I really do need to go before someone worries about me". America looked him in the eyes. " If I text you, respond, ok?" Russia nodded. America went to the bathroom to take a shower while Russia got dressed. The tall country tidied up the room and left just the way he came.

He quietly entered his home, where no one else was awake. Thank god, he didn't need anyone questioning him on his whereabouts. He silently snuck up the stairs to his room and shut the door behind him. His phone buzzed in his pocket- a notification. "New notification from 'America'". He opened the message.

Hey Russ?

Yes?

Can you meet me at the park by the cafe? I wanted to talk to you about something.

Ok... What time?

Around 2

Gotcha.

He tossed his phone on his bed and then flopped onto it himself. What could he possibly need? God, why did this one little starry disaster need so much attention? He sighed. Of course he was going to go, but he wasn't going to be happy about it.

•••

America entered his room, his hair still damp. He was hungry, but he sure as hell wasn't going downstairs- he heard his dad shouting at his older brother, Canada. Canada was just as afraid of UK as America was- then again, so were Aussie and Kiwi. America got the short end of the stick, though, as his father hated him the most.

America tried to decide how exactly to go about this. He had already set a up a hang-out, so what was he going to say? "I like you! You probably don't even trust me completely, but be my boyfriend!" No. Wasn't there just some way to subtly drop hints? Why the fuck was this whole thing getting him so damn confused? Christ Almighty!

•••

Russia was waiting on a bench when America arrived. The sky was blue and clear, a warm day for late November. Kids were at school and parents at work, so the park was empty. America sat down on a swing and motioned for Russia to join him. He rolled his eyes and left the bench. No one said a word, just quietly swung and took in the atmosphere. It was peaceful and calm, not even a pinch of tension peppered in.

Eventually, America skidded his feet on the mulch beneath him and came to a stop. "Russ?" Hearing his name, he too halted and looked back at America. "Yeah?" "How do you tell a person you love them?" Huh? What kind of question is that? "Well... Actions speak louder than words. Do something kind for them, or give them affection. Couple that with the right words and, well, that should do the trick". "But what are the right words?" "You have to find those yourself, my friend".

Russia checked his phone and stood up. "My dads will be home in about 30 minutes. I've got to get going". He began to walk off in the direction of his arrival. "See you at work tomorrow". America had the urge to tell him to please turn around and come back and sit and talk for a little while longer, but it just couldn't come to him. He just, sadly, watched Russia walk away. I had something else to tell you...

•••

Russia arrived home to see things as they usually are. Ukraine and Germany yelling as they played video games, Kazzy eating snacks. Looks like they never even noticed he had gone. Oh well. He took off his jacket, tied it around his waist, and headed over to the sink to do the dishes before his dads came home.

Just as he had finished and dried off his hands, the doorknob jostled and clicked. Third opened the door with a flourish. " We're ho-o-o-ome!" Soviet stared ahead with a tired, stoic expression, standing behind Third and holding six out of about 13 bags. "Ah, welcome back" Russia said with a nod. As his dads and their luggage poured in the door, Russia let out a sigh of relief. Things were back to the way they were. With all the anxieties of the start of the weekend forgotten, he walked up to his room for some well-needed rest.

He climbed into bed and under the covers, but after two nights of having a cuddle buddy, it felt... Empty. Wait, what? Russia sat straight up. He had been having these thoughts for days now! America was barely his friend! But... He was nice, right? Jeez, how touch starved was he? To stoop so low as to miss... America? Of all people? Though, he had to admit, he was so kind to him.

Maybe he should just let go of the past. America had changed- he was sweet, caring, considerate. Wasn't that what mattered now? Let's.. Just see how I feel in the end.