CHAPTER 5

Her black locks were the secret to her beauty she loved running a brush through it eliminating the knots and maintaining its shine. It looked best at night like a black veil over her head. Wally liked her hair too. In his little eyes his mother was still beautiful as ever.

Satisfied with herself she turned around and asked merrily, "How do I look Wally? All good? "

All Wally done was stare back at his mother with love.

She gushed, she did not need a reply, the one month old baby's eyes said it all. She was beautiful.

She scurried to her baby and brought him to her arms and gave him a comforting hug and a kiss on his forehead. The baby looked into his mother's eyes with a smile.

"Are you hungry darling? I will fix you a warm bottle so you will have a peaceful nap there after okay? "

She walked with the baby into the nursery and gently placed him in his blue little cot. She looked around at the nursery and was once again pleased at how she decorated it. Above Wally's cot dangled a blue and white bed chime which held soft and fluffy blue, green and yellow penguins. She knew that Wally would love it the way she had the first time she saw it at Babies Inn. It was so beautiful and had had such soothing rhymes composed of twinkle- twinkle little star, rock-a-by-baby and a few others. She switched it on and baa-baa black sheep filled the room the soft melody always brought a smile to Wally's face it was one of his favourite rhymes. She watched as the penguins swung slowly round and round and gushed as Wally stared non stop with a smile. She was certainly blessed she had a wonderful baby. Wally hardly fussed, slept a lot and was a jovial baby.

"Thank God for you Wally. You all that I have. And when you grow up I expect a lot of grand babies. " she laughed at her humour.

Rays of yellow sunshine began to peep through the window which was dressed with baby blue curtains and white prints of boats at the far end of the room casting shadows of the penguins on the soft blue walls with white borders. Not far from the cot sat a little white chest of draws where Wally's clothes were neatly folded in and on top of it were his toiletries. She took the baby brush from above the chest and gently brushed Wally's baby curls they were as golden as the sunshine just like his father's.

"I wish daddy was here to see how beautiful you turned out to be but don't worry his out working he has a busy job serving the country so he will be back soon I'm waiting too. " she said.

She remembered that she needed to make a bottle for the baby before he started to get wrestles. She put the brush back on the chest, walked to the foot of the cot and picked up a brown fuzzy teddy bear from the blue baby chair.

She walked back to the cot and placed the bear beside Wally and said, "Be right back sweetie I'm going to get you that bottle now. Here is Mr Cuddles he will keep you company while I'm gone."

She kissed her index finger and placed it on the baby's forehead then turned and left. The sound of Wally's cooing brought joy to her heart as she made her way to the kitchen. Wally was all she had and needed.

***

Spaid Millington sat outside the office of Martin Mitchell as he waited for the boss to summon him into the office and proceed with the interview for the position he had applied for as one of the company drivers for Mitch& McDoogle Constructions. Being a company driver was not too shabby of a job and Spaid felt lucky to be given the job since he just had a high school pass at the age of thirty-eight. Being in a position like so began to make him regret when he didn't take his parents seriously, when they coaxed him to further his education. He remembered his mother's please. "Spaid you a young man please go to that fancy college and get a degree don't end up a useless drunk like your pap."