why?

I'd been wearing makeup the whole week luckily my lip had gone completely down, today sadly i wouldn't be attending church after school, I had to go home apparently I was going somewhere though my mom hadn't said where. My father who was no doubt at the town bar getting drunk or high ,more then likely both wasn't coming so there was an upside to that arrangement.

I arrived home,  the place I'd much rather not be at to discover my mother holding pie in a casual yellow dress with a matching headband and some flats. It didn't look like I was going to get any chance to change .

"Hey your back early". My mom stated

" yeah you told me to come after school". I answered

" well I didn't think you'd actually come , you can't seem to spare even a day away from that place". She commented

Every minute spent at the church was a minute that wasn't spent here, I'd sleep at the church if pastor brown would allow me.

" where are we even going". I asked

" over to the Harrington's , you'll see your buddy Myles ". She said

Myles and I are far from buddies , he's made that crystal clear. Had I known this was where she planned to take me I would've just gone to church, next to my father Myles was the last person I wanted to see.

" oh, ok then". I replied unenthusiastically. Alot of my childhood was spent in that mansion , most if not all my good memories were made in that mansion, I honestly wanted nothing to do with that place and even less to do with myles.  Since I had already arrived I now had no choice but to go.

We arrived at the estate my mom waving off the taxi driver. It was just as I remembered I hadn't stepped foot on this property in 8 years. Yet everything was as I'd left it , even the grass seemed to have remained the same level on the yard.

My mom rung the door bell , as I looked up at the security camera in the corner, nothing really had changed  everything so far had seemed how I left it.

The door opened,revealing a smiling Mrs.Harrington it'd been almost a month since the funeral and from what I could tell she was holding up pretty well. Her smile was always genuine, everything about Mrs.Harrington was warm and true, It was her warmth and understanding that I felt growing up.

I used to refer to her as aunt up until 6.
I stopped because it bothered Myles and he would often argue with me or go on a silent streak whenever I did ,  eventually I confronted him about it.

10 years ago....

" she's not your aunt she's my mom". He yelled

" ok I just call her that it's not that big a deal". I protested

" yes it is, I don't call your mom , my aunt", he defended

" ok but I wouldn't care if you did".I answered

" it's just wrong and it dosen't even make sense". He said

" and why is that?" I asked

" because we don't even look alike, your dark and I'm light and we don't look a like , it's just gross". He tried to explain I just ended up feeling bad a wave of sadness coming over my 6 year old being

" I'm sorry I don't look like you myles, I'm sorry I'm gross". My voice cracking as my eyes started to sting and water

He looked at me a shocked look on his face. " no that's not what I ment". He said rushing over to me and grabbing my hands.

" your not gross, I don't care if we don't look that same, I just don't want us to be related". He said embracing me in a hug my 6 year old chin resting on his small shoulders.