Plans

𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫, 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞? ~𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐱

Evie sat with Pippa at the Hufflepuff table on the first Thursday of October. Evie spooned some mashed potatoes as Pippa blabbered on about her weekend plans.

Evie tried to pay attention, but she found her eyes wandering towards the Gryffindor table and being much more entertained.

Evie watched as Remus conversed with his friends. James and Sirius were using spoons to fire peas at each other. Peter was laughing the whole time, encouraging the two troublemakers. Remus mostly shook his head in amusement.

When a pea landed in James' open mouth, Remus allowed himself to give into the laughter. His brown eyes brightened up and his mouth open up into a bark of a laugh. Evie found herself smiling along with him.

She never usually got the chance to really look at Remus, as she's always to shy to fully look at him whenever they're together. Her eyes studied his face. He was pretty handsome, she couldn't deny that. And the thin scars on his face gave Remus a mysterious sort of vibe. Evie wondered where those scars came from, but would never ask in case it was a sensitive subject.

"Are you listening to me, Evie?" Pippa said, making Evie's eyes snap back to her best friend.

"Yeah," Evie muttered, full of lies.

"My birthday is on Saturday and I want it to be perfect," Pippa explained. "Why don't you invite your boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend," Evie said.

"But you wish he was," Pippa teased. When Evie didn't reply, Pippa raised her eyebrows. "Wait! You like him don't you?"

Evie groaned. It was true, talking to Remus was always one of the highlights of her day, and they seemed to be talking a lot lately. Remus always seemed to be around her and Evie didn't know if it was a coincidence or if Remus actually wanted to talk to her. She hoped it was the latter.

"I don't know," Evie sighed. "It doesn't matter anyway. He'd never like me."

Pippa rolled her eyes. "Let's go back to the common room."

They stood up and walked out of the Great Hall; the Mauraders left at the exact same time. Evie couldn't help but wonder if Pippa did that on purpose.

"Hey guys," Pippa called out to them once they were in the entrance hall. "My birthday's this Saturday. Party in Hufflepuff."

"We'll be there," Sirius said.

"Yeah," James agreed. "We'll bring drinks!"

The two boys started to leave, Peter following closely. Remus stayed put; Evie could've sworn he was looking at her.

"I'll meet you guys in the common room," Remus waved his friends away.

They seemed to get the hint and left. Pippa must have gotten one two, as she left when Remus moved towards Evie.

Evie felt quiet uncomfortable and annoyed at Pippa. She and Remus stood in silence for a moment.

"So, are you going to Pippa's party?" Remus asked into the silence.

Evie shook her head almost instantly, looking down at her feet. "Parties aren't really my thing."

Evie looked up to see Remus frowning. "That's a shame," he said. "I would've liked to see you there."

Evie nodded awkwardly. "Maybe next time. I have a lot of study to catch up on anyway."

Remus also nodded and bid her goodbye, using his waiting friends as an excuse.