Chapter Sixteen: Bracelets And Blind Spots

JADE SULKED AS SHE PULLED THE BLANKET OVER HER HEAD, whining. The girl still didn't give in, snatching away the blanket along with the warmth it was providing. "Wake up, wake up, we have to go!"

Jade groaned, burying her face into the pillow to muffle her best friend's shouts. There was a final tug at the blanket, and it flew away from Jade's hands. Shay shook her vigorously, to make sure she won't fall asleep again. "Wake up, the sun has risen!"

"What do you want me to do if the sun has risen? Photosynthesis? Converting carbon dioxide into oxygen has been a hard task, and you want me to do Photosynthesis?" Jade grumbled as she snatched the blanket back from Shay's hands, trying to make herself comfortable again.

"Alright then, sleep." Shay sighed and there was a shuffling sound, stomping out of the room. Just when Jade reached over to close the curtains Shay had opened, something heavy had flung itself onto her knees.

"Ahh, get off, Leo!" Jade shouted half-heartedly at him, but it just prompted him to lick her more intensely.

She sighed again, sat upright and patted Leo's head. There was a chuckle and Jade looked up to glare at Shay, who was the mastermind armed with a wicked idea. The idea which had been implemented, and it did work. Shay leaned against the doorway and smiled at Jade, getting a scowl in return. She knew that Jade wouldn't push Leo away, so she brought him in.

"Where are we going, anyway?" Jade asked Shay groggily, rubbing her eyes. "To visit Kara, it's been a while since we met her. So, I guess we will go to the café." Shay called out as she exited the room, giving Jade some time. As Shay opened the door, Jade could hear some noises from upstairs. The boys were fighting for the bathroom again as they do every day, banging on the door like madmen.

Leo grunted happily. Kara loved him, plus she fed him treats from the café. Jade smiled, not seeming so irritated as she had been a minute ago. She had only a few people whom she could call her best friends, and Kara was one of them along with the idiots she was living with. Jade loved them though.

It had been a while since they met Kara, all of them had been looking into the mysterious happenings at Blackwood, trying to make sense of them. Jade washed her face with cold water, which effectively cleared away the remaining traces of sleep.

She wiped her face, still thinking about her friend. They had texted each other and talked to each other on phone regularly, but Jade was excited to meet her. Kara was a year elder than all of them, one of the major reasons all of them understood the concepts they were taught the previous year in their school.

As a sign of gratitude, they had gifted a bracelet which Kara wore every day without fail. Unable to tame her wild hair, Jade ran out of the room with a comb in her hands, handing it to Rose. After Rose was done braiding, Jade stood up and smiled at her friend. Her smiles came more easily when she was with her best friends, but no one surprised the laughs out of her the way Theo did.

As if on cue, Theo jumped downstairs. His dark brown hair bounced as he jumped, brown eyes full of warmth and love behind his spectacles rested on her. They were the most beautiful eyes she had ever seen, honey brown with flecks of gold in them. Jade smiled at him and kissed his cheek, who gently cupped the back of her head. Just when she was leaning in, there was a chorus of sarcastic applause from beside them.

Jade drew back and shook her head at her best friends. Not wanting to give them the satisfaction, she quickly kissed Theo and grabbed his hand, dragging him into the kitchen, so she could eat her breakfast.

Jade knew he didn't eat his breakfast, wanting to eat it along with her. Theo was someone who was very caring and one of the best persons she had ever met. She felt she didn't deserve someone so good, someone who loves people with his whole heart. He always managed to keep her happy, to make her forget her dark past which always made her way into the present.