Chapter Thirty-Two: Cold & Creepy

ICY DROPLETS CASCADED ONTO THEIR SHOULDERS, and Will shuddered. He glanced back at the silhouette of their house, looking as homely as ever. The next time we come back to the house, he thought, it should be with Rose. White mist puffed out of Will's mouth as he opened his mouth to speak.

His headache was bad, really bad. He tried his best to smoothen his expression into a neutral and unreadable one. His fever had reduced too, but he still felt slightly feverish. His friends had protested that Will should stay home, but there was no way he was doing that.

"So cold," Kai muttered under his breath as he dodged a puddle. "It's summer for god's sake!" Theo groaned. Shay glanced up at the cloudy black sky, and raindrops slid down her nose. "It's because of the rain, I guess. Let's hurry up."

Jade grumbled something about global warming under her breath. Will checked his phone again and Kai caught his movement, "Anything?"

Will shook his head, "Nope." They had forwarded the email as George had instructed and sent a message to Dr Pete. What they hadn't expected was the immediate response they got from his side. He called them almost immediately and told them that he had his suspicions about all the mysterious things happening in Blackwood right now.

Will told him everything that had happened right from the start, and he patiently listened to them, and when they came to the part about George's death, they heard shuddering breaths from the other side. Apparently, he had attended the funeral, but Will guessed that they were too heartbroken and shocked to notice the people who had gathered.

In the email, George even wrote about Pete, the memories he shared with him. He wrote that the reason George hadn't taken Pete's help or mentioned the discoveries was that he didn't want to put another person he loved to risk. He apologized to Pete in the letter and requested him to help us.

But there was no need to request him, Will thought after they spoke with Pete. Pete was very helpful and wise, and he painfully reminded them of George. When they shared what had happened with Rose, and told him that we had plans to go to the headquarters and bring her back, they expected him to protest or scold them.

But instead, he understood their reasons and told them to be careful. He told them that he was taking a flight to return to the city immediately, and would speak with the trustworthy city officials. They didn't hear from him since then, Will thought that he was still on the plane. Meanwhile, they had discussed their plans. The best ways they could get in without getting caught.

The files George had sent them contained valuable information which included the blueprint of the entire place, the positioning of security guards. While they made the plans, they guessed that Vyper had something important to do that day.

They were hasty regarding their plans. Vyper, which was usually careful regarding matters as these didn't wait up to check if their plans had succeeded or not. They were quick to deal with Will and others, as they made Rose call them after ten minutes after Will's supposed death.

They wanted us out of their way because Vyper was dealing with something important and didn't want flies like us buzzing around their ears, Will thought.

It's going to be a nasty shock for them when they find out what these tiny flies are capable of.

"Dude, why are you walking like a penguin?" Kai asked as he cringed, accidentally stepping into a puddle and closing his eyes as mud splashed onto his jeans. "It's so cold, it's so cold! This cold is freaking intense," Theo cried out.

"You need to chill, Theo. We can't rescue Rose with you freaking out."

"No, thanks. I don't want to chill because I'm already freezing. More chill, and I'll get frostbite for sure. I enjoy cold weather, I enjoy the snow, why am I so miserable now?"