Chapter Twenty-Four: Oh, How The Tables Have Turned

PUSHING PAST THE MASSIVE GATE, THEY WALKED towards the house. Shay breathed in the sweet fragrance of flowers as they headed towards the large and elegant house, which was a distance away. She spotted a hole in the wooden fence, and the wire fence. It was large enough for Leo to crawl through but wasn't noticeable because of the lush greenery.

A group of colourful butterflies swarming around flowers caught Shay's attention, and she watched them with fascination. Will, who noticed that she stopped by the flowers grabbed her arm gently. "Come on, Shay. We are already late," he said, checking his watch. He impatiently flicked his hair aside with his hand, making it attractively rumpled.

Shay raised an eyebrow or tried to, as she averted her eyes from his hair. "Race you to the door?" Will smiled, agreeing. He held up his hand, counting off his fingers and both started running at the same time. Cold wind against her skin felt good and refreshing, her muscles burned with satisfaction.

Shay let out a whoop of delight when she reached before Will and grinned at him when he breathed hard to let some air into his lungs. Will stepped forward after calming down, ringing the doorbell. When there was no response, he rang the doorbell again but no one came. Will looked at her with puzzlement, "Should we like, use the back door's key he gave us?"

Shay shrugged and pushed the heavy door to see if it was open, and it didn't budge at first. She used even more force and it opened slightly. She smiled at Will, "Bingo."

Strange, Shay thought as she peered inside the house and walked in. She held in a breath just as she did every time she entered George's house, not getting used to the grand house after coming to this house these many times. Jade had urged them to come quickly when she called them.

After waving goodbye to Ruby and Hannah, Will and Shay had talked about their childhood. They hugged each other after that, letting the warmth soak into each other and comfort them. Will had exhaled loudly then, taking her gently by the shoulders as he started, "Shay..."

But then Shay's phone started ringing. She never found out what Will wanted to say. Jade had urged them to come to George's house quickly, though she didn't state the reason. Will went to the kitchen as Shay searched the dining hall and the lab. They approached the grand staircase together, running upstairs and to the library.

The library was a paradise for her. It was huge and filled with books. So many books. Books, books, books, everywhere. It was her dream library. The lighting here was breathtaking too, a massive chandelier hanging above their heads. Her favourite spot was at the corner of the library, where a table was perched. During the daytime, warm sunshine illuminated that corner, making it cosy for them and their eyes. But now the massive chandelier was alight, golden light spilling everywhere.

The library was so huge, Shay could jog its length when it was raining outside and Shay wanted to jog. She remembered the first time they came inside the library, all of them squealed with happiness, Rose practically jumping with joy. All of them had gone through the books and collapsed exhausted, but Rose would excitedly scream, "Please, please, please can I borrow the book, George?" George would chuckle at her excitement and reply, "Sure, Rose. Take any book you like."

That day, the library had been filled with excited chattering and shouts unlike the pin-drop silence now. There was only a tap-tap sound, the sound of George walking. Leo, who had been leaping with excitement had stopped when he noticed his unusually quiet friends. Never since the time she met her friends, had she experienced this much silence with them.

George was pacing the length of the room with his phone pressed against his ear, quietly murmuring into the phone. All her friends were sitting down on the gleaming marble, who were watching George nervously. Kai and Theo looked at Will and Shay and shook their heads vigorously, putting a finger on their lips.