Chapter Twenty-Five: A Conundrum

"GEORGE, HITTING YOUR HEAD REPEATEDLY AGAINST THE TABLE isn't going to give us any answers," Kai sighed, glancing at George who was banging his head against the table. George sighed back as he turned to face Kai, setting his cheek against the table's warm surface. "What?" He asked stubbornly when Rose chuckled at George's childish antics.

George narrowed his eyes at Rose who stuck her tongue out at him. He sat up straighter, hanging his head backward and staring fixedly at his book collection. He'd been restless since the time all of them had gone through those files, mad at himself that he couldn't find answers.

But one good thing Will felt as he saw George bang his head against the table with frustration, sulking was that he wasn't hiding his emotions around them any more. He wasn't hiding his tears or constant sadness behind the cheerful smile of his, and Will was happy that George was comfortable around them.

Leo tapped his paws against the black marble floor, looking at them with rich brown eyes as his ears were pricked up for any incoming orders or conversations. After a while, he started tapping with both of his paws and Will smiled, "L," He said. Leo immediately looked up and increased the tapping, this time it was faster.

"Leo," All of them chorused, and he started tapping impossibly fast until one of his paws skidded, and he lost balance and his jaw landed on the floor, which earned him a concerned glance from everyone in the room. Looking up and seeing everyone's eyes on him, he barked delightfully which let them know that he wasn't hurt.

Leo now sat under the dining table, occasionally licking someone which got him a pat on the back. Will picked at the food kept in front of him, his mind wandering to find them some answers. Everyone had their thinking caps on, letting their mind wander around for answers.

George had been right, there had been a change in the pattern of suicides. Previously, the people who killed themselves had one thing in common: something had been injected into their body. They were certain that something was injected into their bodies, because of the puncture wounds. George had confirmed that those puncture wounds were caused because of injecting something.

But this time, there were no puncture wounds on the body. Nothing to suggest that something had been injected into their bodies. They scanned through all the autopsies five times, to check if there was some small, minute detail they missed. But there wasn't anything in common and Will was close to throwing up, he didn't want to glance at those reports again.

But the one thing that was common with the last time was that there were no similarities. There was no target group, people were ranging from little kids to old, no similarities in their jobs.

Will frowned, "Can it be that there is something mixed in their food or water?" George pursed his lips, considering it. "Might be. But I don't think it's that. It would be hard for the killer to mix stuff into their food, as someone else might consume it too."

Shay looked up, "So you think that the killings aren't random?" George shook his head, indicating that he didn't think that. "It doesn't seem like a person killing people for his pleasure. If it was that, he wouldn't do through all the trouble to disguise them as suicides. All of this looks planned. And with those messages on the wall, I think it's something more like revenge."

"I still think" Jade started, but Theo shook his head, "No, Jade. If you are gonna say that this whole thing is a coincidence then what about the reports we first saw? The reports told that everyone who killed themselves had been injected with something. So, whatever was happening then, they were attacks. Now I'm sure that whoever behind this has found a better way to hide this business he's doing and disguise them better."