EIGHT: A Letter And A Long Lunch

Dear Father,

I know it has been some time since I have written, but things have been busy since I arrived in Ishmar. I am constantly in meetings with King Harudan and the other Lords and Ladies of Brenmar. Everything has been decided. By the time you get this letter, the treaty will be signed.

I was able to do as you asked me. King Harudan has agreed to provide resources for us during the winter. It will start next year, but I suppose this is better than nothing. I was surprised at how easy it was to convince him. He seemed so willing just to get this treaty over with. Perhaps he is as sick of this war as we are.

Ishmar, or the castle at least, is dull. As I said, I am always in meetings. There is nothing to do here except spend time in the library, which you know full well that I do not enjoy. It is as if these people have never heard of fun. I miss the balls and the parties we have at home. I miss all of you.

How is my dearest Benj? I hope he is doing well. The young Prince here reminds me of him when he was younger. Except Prince Nerin is far more mischievous. From the little information I've gotten off of King Harudan, Prince Nerin has made a habit of sneaking in on important meetings. He'd been hiding in the entrance hall when I arrived, apparently not allowed to greet me with his brother.

It is all far too strange here. Princes unable to do the things I would normally be able to, no balls or parties. They are much stricter than we are. I am glad to be leaving in a few days. I am tired of all the halls and buildings that look the same. There is no colour here, it is all so bland.

I hope you and mother are doing well without me there. I know mother misses me and I promise to spend as much time with her as possible upon my return. I hope you are proud of me, father, I hope I have done well for Minisia. I believe this treaty will be good for us. No more fear or fighting with Brenmar. It will be good.

Yours faithfully,

Rina.

Rina waited for the ink to dry before she folded up the letter and put it in an envelope. The only seal she had been given was King Harudan's, but it was better than nothing. She dropped the sealed envelope on the desk with a sigh. Her father would be pleased to hear from her, but the letter wouldn't get to him for a while. She would try and get it sent with his copy of the treaty.

It was to be signed that night. They'd been able to discuss everything so quickly, it had taken her by surprise. She would sign the treaty and spend a few more days in Ishmar out of politeness and a new, healthy relationship with Brenmar, then she would finally be able to head home. Just a few more days.

She let out an irritated grumble when someone knocked on her door. She had requested the day to herself to relax before the treaty was signed. Harudan had kept her busy the last few days with meetings and tours and the most boring parties she had ever been to.

There'd been music, but it was only two or three people skilled with the lute. Back in Ziya, parties were everything. They weren't thrown much, only in summer when the city had the resources to spare, but the entire city was allowed to show up and celebrate. Violins and harps and lutes played cheery songs to dance to well into the night. It was something that always brought Rina joy.

Pushing the thoughts from her head, she opened the door and took a step back in surprise. Prince Nerin stood on the other side and the apprentice monk from the Sanctum of Ishin stood silently behind him. The guards planted on either side of her door looked to her expectantly.

"Can I help you, your Highness?" she asked in a language that wasn't her own, plastering a smile onto her tired face. The boy was entertaining, but she wasn't in the mood for company. She wasn't in the mood to speak the Ishini language anymore. It had been far too long since she used her mother tongue.