TWENTY-SEVEN: Safety

The town Nerin had told them of was bigger than Isiah had expected, the buildings stretching towards the horizon. The sight of it made him sick to his stomach. There were far too many people around and they were close to Ishmar. Nerin no longer had a mask to hide his face; they'd be recognised within minutes of entering.

The trio stood hidden in the scraggly, leafless trees, watching the town in silence. People milled about, chatting happily to those they passed. Children ran between them, whooping and chasing each other with excited grins. It was strange to see their oblivious happiness, knowing what was happening in the realm.

"What do we do?" Rina asked, a frown on her lips. "We're close to your uncle's place, aren't we?"

Nerin shrugged and wrinkled his nose. "I think so. We always stayed the night here when we visited, but I never paid that much attention to the journey," he said. Isiah bit down on his lip and winced at the sting of pain.

"So we need directions," Rina said and sighed. She took a step forward and moved to duck under the branch of a tree, but Isiah held out an arm to stop her. "What is it?"

He shook his head at her. "You can't. You're Askari. It already got us in trouble, we should make sure it doesn't happen again, not this close to Ishmar," he told her and looked down at Nerin. "You should stay here too. Someone might recognise you." He wasn't going to get so close just for them to make a stupid mistake and get caught.

Rina didn't look happy with his words, crossing her arms over her chest and raising her eyebrows at him. "We need food, water, and directions to this laboratory," she replied and stared at the town over his shoulder.

"I know," he replied. They'd been running low on food for the last few days. The little the Father had given them had been enough to get them near the laboratory, but they'd need more if they wanted to make it.

Nerin tapped him on the wrist, an annoyed pout pulling at his lips. "What do we do?" he asked. "I was hoping we could stay the night in an inn."

Isiah's eyebrows furrowed. He wouldn't mind a proper bed for once, but if they made it to the laboratory, they could have that. "I'll have a look around, but I don't think it's a good idea," he said and shifted the bag on his back. "You said you came here a lot, Nerin. People will know who you are."

The boy sighed. "I know."

"I'll see what I can do, but we might have to find somewhere out here to sleep," he said and took a step out of the treeline. "I won't be long, hopefully. Stay hidden."

"Of course, be quick," Rina told him and rubbed at her tired eyes.

He ducked under the low branches and climbed the little hill towards the village. A few people eyed him curiously as he walked towards the small wooden homes, but he paid no attention to them. He was just a normal Ishini travelling the world, they wouldn't bother to question what he was doing.

It was the same as every other town he had seen on their short journey. Dark wooden homes and buildings, the occasional stone one dotted between them. Smoke rose from nearly every chimney and the snow had been pushed against the walls so people could walk without issue. It still crunched under his feet, but he didn't sink into it.

Around him, people shivered and complained about the cold, but he couldn't feel it. The stone was still in his pocket. He hadn't moved it in days. He should have given it to Nerin and Rina before he left. People would find it suspicious if they were suddenly warm when he walked by them, but there was nothing he could do about it.

He hadn't wanted to even think about using the stone again, despite knowing that Rina's suggestion was a good one. The stone was dangerous. He didn't trust it not to take control of him again. The first time had been the worst experience of his life. He didn't want to go through that again.