Chapter thirteen: Cracked mask

Ensley

I WALK OUT FROM Harrison's office with Callan by my side and a week's suspension under my belt considering the school's intolerance for fighting on school grounds.

Harrison called our parents before we had even entered the office. Naturally, my mom didn't answer so he told me I'd either have to stay in reception until school ended or walk home immediately. I nearly laughed at his suggestion. Why wouldn't you go home immediately?

"Were you afraid?" Callan asks suddenly as we reach the side gate and come to a halt. His green eyes seem conflicted and anxious. "Of me. Were you afraid of me when I beat up Bennett?"

I shake my head slowly. "Um...no. Not really. Sure, it was a little unnerving seeing you lose control like that but to be honest I felt safe. You were my knight in shining armour."

He smirks, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me closer. I don't resist; I'm getting used to his warmth. "And you're my princess."

I bury my face into his neck, enjoying the feeling of his hands stroking my hair and his coarse muscles pushing up against my fragile body.

"How good are you at football?" I ask him, draping my arms around his neck so our eyes are levelled.

"I'm in the team so I guess that makes me somewhat decent. Or maybe it's just pure luck that I'm the star quarterback." He grins, squeezing my hips.

"Star? Please."

"Tell you what. On our suspension, you come over to my house and I'll show you a thing or two about football." Callan laughs at my stunned expression: I didn't inherit my father's skill of sports. Especially football. "We can start with the basics if you want."

I roll my eyes. "If I manage to hold onto the ball without dropping it then I'll call it a success. I'm not making any promises though."

Callan's phone bursts out into tune, startling us from our white literal nose-to-nose conversation. His eyebrows pinched together, he shakes himself from my hold and answers the call. "Hello?" All the colour drains from his face. "Okay. Yes, sir. I'll be there immediately." He hangs up.

"Who was that?" I say, confused.

"A person," he replies, intentionally avoiding my gaze.

"Who?"

He ignores my demands and rushes off, looking afraid as he yells over his shoulder, "Gotta go. I'll see you soon, Ensley!"

I step into the shadows as two figures pass through the front gate, looking concerned. A woman with a thin but tall physique, icy blue eyes that could pierce the Devil himself and long blonde hair knotted to the back of her head with dozens of pins. A man falls in stride next to her. His small and squat with watery eyes and an anxious expression holding his features captive.

"Vera, I really don't think—" he begins but the woman simply quickens her pace and talks on top of him.

"James, don't contradict me. Callan deserves to be punished. His behaviour was atrocious and he needs to be taught a lesson."

"Aren't you the slightest bit worried for your sons safety, Vera? I'd imagine Peter won't take this kindheartedly," James says. He must be Callan's stepdad and Vera, the woman, must be his mother.

"Callan knows his father is a disciplinarian. He knows what the consequences are for breaking the rules. His father may be strict but he is not unfair." The two come to an abrupt halt a few feet away from where I stand.

"Fair!" James erupts, anger in his eyes. "You think that man is fair to his son! I watched that man slam his sons head into a wall because he didn't clean a glass properly! How the hell is that fair?"