the stranger

Venus's pov

The two of us stood awkwardly outside the car, just staring at it. My jaw hung open, still being annoyed at how stupid we were to not notice the fuel gauge that read 'empty' earlier. What would we do now?

I look up at James, a slight look of horror on his face. "My dad loved this car. It was the most expensive thing he's ever bought." He said with a now blank expression.

I looked down at my feet thinking about what we could do. We couldn't just walk could we? James and I were really far away from any town, at this point we were practically in the middle of nowhere. James is still staring at the car in front of him. The one his dad has lived. I began to walk away from the broken down car in front of us.

I hear footsteps behind me as James catches up to me, "where're you going?" He asks. I turn to him, his eyes read 'well shit, I'm fucked.' It was an expression I knew well.

"We're gonna see if we can catch a ride." I reply. "Or else were fucked." I add. I start to walk but James pulls on my arm, "we can't just leave it here." He says.

"Well we're gonna have to, get over it." I tell him harshly.

I take his hand and intertwine his fingers with mine and once again start to walk.

James's pov

I thought of killing her here. But for some reason the idea of seeing her dead body makes me sick.

Plus, I couldn't do it here. The car would have linked me to the crime.

Venus's pov

We walked down the long winding road, waiting for a car to appear somewhere. James's hand was stiff and he stayed silent the whole time.

"Do you want to go home?" James said, breaking the silence.

I shook my head but then looked up at him. "I mean, do you want to?" I asked him.

He shook his head, and gave my hand a squeeze. Almost immediately after he let go of it. I sighed in disappointment and continued to walk.

I stop suddenly, shaking James's shoulder. "Look!" I said to him, pouting in the direction of a car driving down the windy road. It was coming closer to us by the second.

The car stopped in front of us and the window rolled down slowly. A man who was probably about two times our age sat in the driver seat. James looked at me as a look of fear washed over my face. This guy looked like a total creep. "I'm heading down south, if that's any help to you." He says to us. I nod and look at James for confirmation. "Do you want a lift or not?" He says, a slightly more agitated tone in his voice.

"Yeah thanks." James says.

"Come on then." The man says.

I open the car door and step inside, James sits in the front seat.

Jesus fucking Christ. What've we gotten ourselves into.