iii. face of darkness

THREE.
face of darkness!
。・:*:・゚ 。・:*:・゚

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Silence fills the ship, and Zoya's heartbeat seems loud in her own ears, a hummingbird's fluttering wings. Her wrists are sore from twisting and yanking at her chains, but since the Mandalorian's threat of carbon freezing, she's long since abandoned that path and now sits silently, saying every hateful thing she can imagine about the bounty hunter within her mind.

            Finally, she can take the silence no longer. "Where are we going?" she says, careful of her tone.

            He stays silent for so long that she's not sure he'll even answer. "I have a mark."

            "Where?" Zoya asks too quickly, over-excited at the prospect of having an actual conversation after long hours of silence. At her instant reply, she can almost feel his annoyance radiating through the air.

            "Arvala-7."

            Zoya wracks her brain. She can't remember having been to the planet before. "This'll be fun," she says. "Who are we going to go round up?"

            "We?" he says flatly.

            "We," she confirms. "I'll help."

            "There is no we."

            Zoya grins. "There is now."

            "No. There's not."

            She thinks for a moment. "Who is it?"

            He seems to sigh. "Private."

            "What's your name?" Zoya asks. "Can I at least know that?" She twiddles her fingers above her head, trying to keep the blood flowing. "I want to be able to call you something other than 'asshole' in my head." He snorts at that, though the sound is barely loud enough for her to hear through his helmet. Encouraged, she adds, "My name is Zoya. That might help you remember how you got me thrown in jail." He doesn't relay to her aloud that he already has went back through everything that happened within his head, but she doesn't know that. She sighs. "Stop pretending to be mute."

            "I'm not."

            "No?"

            "Just not interested in talking."

            Slightly offended that he must think she's not entertaining enough to talk to, Zoya slumps back against the wall, resolving herself to another long trip with this man with no talking whatsoever. She might go insane. "Fine. At least let me come with you when we land, though. My fingers are going numb."