Part 4: The projects...

"Okay, good morning," Mr Fitzgerald claps his hands together, early on a Tuesday morning, "so semester-end projects."

Upon hearing this, the whole room groans, "I promise you it has something to do with The Great Gatsby," Chelsea whispers as she leans back in her seat.

"I need you guys to prepare a presentation, on one of the books that we will be tackling this Semester. There's only two, therefore half of the class has to do one and the rest the other-"

"Which books are we doing, sir?" One of the students in the front row seats asks.

"If you had dared open and read the study guide I gave you a month ago, you'd know," he stares at the student and the student just leans back into his chair letting it swallow him whole and Fitz continues, "Jane Eyre and Macbeth. Though if needs be, I will include a few others from Shakespeare."

Another student raises their hand, interrupting dear beloved Fitzgerald, once again. You can see impatience written all over his forehead as lines form and a vein looks like it's about to pop.

"Well then can't we also do a presentation on other books as well, from different authors, as long as their language use is closely related to Shakespeare and Jane?" the student asks.

"No, I would rather just have Charlotte and Shakespeare as my authors. Their work is more familiar and it fits with the curriculum," he looks at the student and the student nods, "okay, so the presentation. You guys will choose a theme, just one, in either of the books. You will discuss it and report back to the class through a presentation."

"Sir, what are some of the important themes we can choose?" Mike asks from the other end of the room.

"Once we start reading the books, you'll notice that greed places a huge role in Macbeth, but I don't need everyone doing a presentation on greed. Be creative because that's extra points. You can also tackle Jealousy,  in Othello, if anyone decides on that book. Those are just two I can think of right now and don't worry we'll be done with both books before your presentations. But that doesn't mean, wait for us to read it in class. Do some proof reading so long at home because I've had students come and cry to me about extensions. I'm telling you now if your presentations are set for a certain day, I expect you to pitch up and present. These presentations count 25% towards your AP English final mark, so please pitch up. I'm not trying to fail anyone, but if you test me, I will see you here again, next year. If anyone has any more questions, you can come to my desk," Mr Fitzgerald looks around and points at two boys directly in front of him, "hand these books out for me."

The classroom immediately erupts into conversation, as the two students drop two books on every person's desk.

"Which one should we pick?" Chelsea asks.

"I don't know. They're all good books," Leya answers as two books are placed on her desk.

"Maybe Jane Eyre, it looks interesting. And she's a woman, writing about a woman. It's new insight. All we ever read are male perspectives on war and crime and hoes and all the "good" things about 18th-century misogyny." Chelsea complains lifting the novel, by Charlotte Bronte. A novel about a young orphan who overcomes societal norms and finds confidence in herself despite her struggles growing up.

"We could read all of them, then decide?" I suggest looking at the other novel, by former writer and secret drug taker, W. Shakespeare about how jealousy, greed and sheer stupidity would ultimately contribute to a young woman's death.

"Before I forget," Mr Fitzgerald screams, "I've placed the sheet with your assigned partners outside on the notice board, so take a look when class ends. And another warning. If you stand up here and do a presentation on the movie and not the book, I will know and give you a fat 0. Put some effort into these presentations, guys. This is an easy 25%. And start now, not the week before the presentations."

I look at Chelsea and we both roll our eyes, looking at all the people in the class. Worst case scenario, we have to end up doing it, because oh boy everyone knows how group projects go.

"I also have a few Othello books in my cupboard, but if you need more and I'm not here, you can grab some from the library. Just let the librarian know I send you," he finishes his speech and then proceeds to mumble to himself as he goes back to scribbling things down.

When the bell finally rings, everyone rushes out of the door, including dear old Fitz, some eager to see who they've been partnered with or to get to class, though in Fitz's case, it's so he can have his cigarette break before tackling on another class full of crackheads. In a matter of seconds, the class is now empty, leaving Chelsea and myself as we slowly pack our my bags because firstly I don't run to class, this isn't my first year and secondly, the assigned sheet isn't going to run away so why not prolong this moment before the disappointment I will feel after seeing those names settles in.

"Imagine I get assigned someone like Luther," Chelsea chuckles, "last time I saw him actually do any kind of project was last year when he was threatened that he'd have to repeat the grade again."

Only two students are still standing by the notice board when we come out and just like that they walk off, "Okay, S..S..S..Stanton..Stanton, ow here I am, "I place my finger underneath my name and run across the page to the rest of the names that will be in my group. 

Chelsea Tesway, Jena Stewart, Mike Smith.

I turn to look at Chelsea and she has a constipated look on her face and she shrugs "At least we're still partners."

"I would take Luther right now," I chuckle trying to make a joke.

After the lunch period, that was sadly cut short because of a fire drill practice, I walk into the Chemistry class just as it's about to start and sits down.

"Since this is your final year, well for some of you. I'll obviously see some of you again next year," Mr Sutherland says tirelessly, "With that said, I expect a scientific report from you for your end year marks, I have-" he continues as he walks in between the desks.

"Another fucking report?" I mumble

"It could be worse," Sean whispers.

"Mr Coleman!"

Sean clears his throat, looking up, "Yes, Mr Sutherland?"

"Would you like to come forward and offer your own announcements?"

"No, sorry, Sir."

"Unless you'd like to conduct this class, don't talk when I'm talking," Mr Sutherland commands and turns away to continue with the details of their reports.

If there's anything that I learned with being in Mr Sutherland's class last year, is that:

You don't talk.
You don't whisper.
You don't sigh.
And you definitely don't breath.

But sadly it's going to take some a few tries and I shift my head away slightly as Sean leans in.

"How can he even hear me?" 

"Mr Coleman!" Mr Sutherland calls out again.

"Yes, sir?"

"Please evacuate my class."

"I didn't even-"

"Young man, I won't repeat myself."

Sean stands up and packs his stuff away.

The remainder of the class, Mr Sutherland explains everything concerning our report, taking time from his precious life, of course, to chastise my partner's behaviour, even though everyone knows he's the one that overreacted. Like always.

After class, I make way to my locker to collect my homework books.

"Leya," I close my locker and look down the corridor to the source and Sean is jogging his way towards me.

I ignore him, but soon enough he catches up to me, "Leya-" he grabs onto my arm forv=cing me to stop. I stop and looks at him, hugging some of my books close to her chest, "-phew, I need more exercise," he says out of breath.

"You need to talk less in Sutherland's class."

"I know, but he's also just a dick sometimes."

"Yeah well he might be, but he also grades your work," I say, "and since we're partners, I'm gonna need you to do some ass licking because I'm not planning on failing."

___________________________________________________________________