Part 13: I'll carry you.

"Who's that?" Leya asks Sean pointing to the nearby beachers.

"Who, there's like a thousand people here?"

Leya cups Sean's head into her hands and redirects his head to the bleachers, "Do you see where Beth is?"

"No?"

"Right side, right there, purple jacket, black jeans."

"Okay yes I see her."

"Okay now behind her, the guy in the stripped jacket, you see him?"

"Yeah, what about him?" Sean asks as Leya drops her hands and he turns to look at her.

"Who is he?"

"I don't know. Her dad?"

"No, he's too tall to be her dad."

"Why are you asking?"

"Not here, I'll tell you later."

This is after Leya's match and she needs to grab something to eat.

"I got it!"

I run towards the ball, Bridget and Tasha my other teammates beside me. We jump, trying to block the ball, all our hands held up, but at the last minute the ball slips in-between my hands and lands on our side of the court, scoring a point for the opposition.
The opposition team screams, as they celebrate their win against our team. We lose by one set,19-17.

Fuck!

I extend my hand, to help Bridget off the ground as the crowd continues cheering. She holds onto my hand and I lift her up, patting her back in the process.

Our team huddles over to the other side of the court and we give hugs and shake hands with the opposition team as we mumble half felt "good jobs" and "congratulations".

"That was a pathetic block, Barry," Kayla says walking past me on our way to the locker rooms.

"You could have done a better job, Kayla, I'm sure," I say in an attempt to avoid another argument.

She stops and turns around smiling, "I would have."

I sigh walking up to her, defeated but ready to put her in her place.

"That's why you were benched right, because you're such a great middle blocker?"

Coach replaced Kayla with Bridget just after the first set and I can't let her think she has an upper hand now can I?
She looks at me embarrassed then covers it with a smile, before completely walking off.

"Don't mind her, we played a nice game," Bridget says beside me as we continue walking.

"Thanks, Bree."

"Good game girls, that's one game done, we have another in 2 hours so be sure to be here at half past one, so we can do more warm ups," coach says as we huddle up in the locker room, "and stay away from junk food right now and drinking too much water. I don't need a repetition of last year."

Last year, one of the seniors, had too much to drink and eat, during our lunch break and ended up throwing up on the court. So since then she makes everyone joining the team vow that they'll never eat too much during trial day or you're immediately benched for the season, even if it's your final year. From time to time though, she sees it fit to keep reminding us to remember our vow, even on days when it's not trials.
Coach dismisses us and I walk out of the locker room entering the indoor court and looking around. The bleachers are almost empty as everyone heads out to watch other games being played and the workers check the nets and prepare the court for an upcoming game.
Trial day was planned around 2 games per sport team this year, instead of 3. So every sports team gets to play 2 times during the day. It's basically a friendly game day for all the school sports teams between two schools and this year we got Oakdale High. It's ranked about the same as our school nationwide when it comes to sports, so it makes interesting competition.
This is also were sponsors come scouting for potential athletes, but that's not for me. I do athletics to stay in shape not for a career, plus I enjoy playing volleyball.
I spot Chelsea, by the opposite bleachers, on her phone.