How To Walk Through Memories

Chapter 13: How To Walk Through Memories

I was in a black box. It didn’t look like a room at all. It was completely dark; but I could see everything. I didn’t know where I was, how I got here. All I could hear was my own breathing. In. out. In. out.

“Alexa,” A raspy voice called out to me.

I turned and held my breath to find where the voice was coming from. But it didn’t come. I waited silently, eyes darting around the entire black room, waiting for anyone. But nothing came. So I let my breath out in a sigh and stepped forward. The room looked endless; I could see walls, but they blended in so well with the floor it looked like nothing was there.

“Alexa,” The voice called again.

I turned to my left. It was definitely coming from my left. “Who are you?” I called out. My voice echoed across the room, which put me on high alert. The voice that said my name didn’t have an echo.

“Alexa.”

Because it was coming from inside my head.

“Who are you!?” I screamed louder.

The room before my eyes changed. I was put into an old house. It was made entirely of wood and didn’t look like this age. It looked more very early 1900s. There were no electronics anywhere. The walls had cobwebs on them. It wasn’t a rich house; more of a poor one.

I walked through the house until I found the kitchen. There were people there. There was a woman with a bonnet in her hair. She looked terrified and she was holding a baby, probably around seven months old. There was a man with brown hair that was swept back, giving him a tall height. There was a slight stubble on his cheeks and he was wearing a wealthy outfit.

The man next to him was the one I was focused on. It was Warren, but he looked identical to the man he was standing next to. The only different was the hair and eyes; Warren’s hair was darker. His eyes were brown, while the other man’s eyes were a light blue.

There were two more children sitting next to the mother, but there was a distance between them. They were just as young as the one she was holding in her hands. I could now tell the young woman was crying, but she was doing it very slyly. I wanted to go over to the woman, but I was rooted to the spot I was in.

The man I didn’t recognize slowly walked towards her. “You disgraced us,” He said calmly. His voice was as sharp as a knife that was hanging over your back. One wrong move and it would do the damage it was meant to do. “You lied to us,” He said. “And you dishonored us.”

“Please,” The woman said, hugging her baby tightly. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.”

“Sorry?” The man echoed, giving a slight laugh. But there was nothing funny about any of this. “It’s too late to apologize, the damage is done.” He turned towards Warren, who was sitting there with no emotion on his face. “Do it.”