one | new

"Who's the new girl?"

"She's hot."

"Heard she's another model. Don't need any more of those."

"She could be legacy. Did you see her last name?"

Voices of interns float behind me as I fix the collar of my scrub top. The light blue shade clashes with my skin tone, but I can't complain.

Someone taps my shoulder. "Um, hi. I'm George O'Malley." He extends a kind hand, an offer of friendship.

"Leven Phoenix." I smile fondly, taking it gratefully. "Do you know where I can find, um. . .Dr. Bailey?"

"She should be —"

The loud thud of the door hitting the wall catches my attention. A short woman steps into the room carrying a set of binders.

"Okay, people. Assignments." She huffs out.

Each intern tasked with an assignment leaves through the door promptly. Soon, I'm the only one left with a woman named Grey.

"You?"

A familiar woman sits on one of the benches.

"Meredith. The one with the —"

"Yeah."

The woman, who I now know is Dr. Bailey, looks me up and down. "Leven Phoenix. Chief's been talking about you."

"I'm guessing Chief Webber?"

I've heard the name mentioned a few times in conversation with family. A miniscule hum from her confirms my thoughts.

"You'll be on Dr. Shepherd's case regarding the chief." Her gaze shifts to Meredith. "You seem to be popular, Grey. There's been a special request just for you."

"Wh-Who?" Now distracted, she struggles to strap on her watch.

"Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd."

And the resident leaves me with Meredith. We walk out the door, but the young intern seems a bit too distant.

"Look, now that I work here, we might as well get to know each other." My fingers snap in front of her face. "This Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd has gotten you all distracted. What's wrong with them?"

Her arms cross over her chest. "She is the wife of my hard boss, who you happen to be working for during your shift."

"Need me to kick his ass for you? I will if you want." I nudge my elbow into her arm, to which she cracks a gentle grin.

"Not this time." She shakes her head. "He's just another one-night stand in the books."

"You don't seem too upset by it."

"All we had was sex. There's plenty of that going around in Seattle."

The two of us finally come to a stop when we reach a group of three. The woman stands with her arms stuffed in two pockets, Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd written clearly across her right side. One of the men has his arms clasped behind his back, staring down the tailored doctor in front of him.

"Grey." A smirk perks up on the attending's face. "Glad to have you on my case."

"You must be Leven Phoenix." The second man's left hand juts out. "Dr. Burke. What a pleasure it is to finally meet you."

The edges of my lips tighten. "Right. Nice to meet you, too."

"Dr. Shepherd. . .meet your intern."