Sniper

Of all the things that you'd expected to happen to you to today, Tony Stark materializing on your roof in his Iron Man suit didn't even approach the list.

The suit planted itself on the roof, then opened to reveal the billionaire genius himself. You backed away as Tony glided over to you. Somehow, his eyes remained glued to your now fully invisible form.

"Easy, kid, don't want you toppling off the roof, now do we?"

You spared a glance behind yourself, and took a few steps forward to remedy your closeness to the ledge of the building that you would much rather remain on top of. Your ears perked when you heard the sound of metal whirring and colliding, and looked ahead again to see the Iron suit folding in on itself, transforming into a red and gold cube. This was likely to attract less attention from the neighboring buildings, which, now that you thought about it, probably wouldn't take too kindly to having seen a teenage girl blinking in and out of existence.

Hm, not existing sounds kind of nice, right now.

Tony spoke again, interrupting your thoughts. "By the way, these glasses enable me to see you, on top of making me impervious to your mind control, so I won't be forgetting you anytime soon. Unlike a certain mutual friend of ours. Care to explain?"

Your mouth hung open. You struggled for some words, but you had absolutely none. How did he find out so quickly? Sure, he was Tony Stark, but still-

A pit formed in your stomach. Peter's conversation on the phone from earlier that day. It had been with Tony Stark, who now stood before you, sighing at your lack of a response.

"Did you two get in a fight, or something?" he asked, gesturing vaguely.

"No, no..." You'd had an argument, sure, but that wasn't why you'd done what you'd done. "I mean- it was an accident."

"If it was an accident, then why haven't you fixed it?"

"I-" Your breath caught on the lump in your throat.

Look away look away look away look away.

"Don't try it, kid," Tony barked. You flinched, and he took a deep breath, trying to relax his demeanor for your sake.

You wanted this conversation to be over as quickly as possible, so you tried to think of something to shut it down.

"I'm not a superhero." It was the first thing you'd said in ages with a degree of confidence.

Tony furrowed his brows at you. "You don't have to be a superhero to be friends with one," he explained slowly, as if he were speaking to a small child.

You blinked at him. Wasn't he here to push you towards crime-fighting? To tell you that you were being selfish? That anyone else would kill to have powers like yours? That someone else would actually do some good with said powers, as opposed to whatever you did?

As if reading your mind, Tony said, "Look, you're a teenager. So is Peter, but he fights crime because he wants to. I just try and make sure that he doesn't get himself killed, every night. As for you, as long as you're not using your powers for harm, I have no problem with what you do with them. Of course, using them to make my- to make a kid forget a really important friendship that he's just made... well, that's getting close to 'harm' territory, don't you think?"

I'm not important.

"I can't imagine that it'll impact him all that much," you murmured.

Tony shook his head. "He's lonely, you're lonely. I dunno about you, but I see an easy remedy for this."

"He's not lonely," you protested. You had nothing to say for Tony's assessment about you, but Peter had people who cared about him, as small of a circle as it was. He would be fine without you, better off, even.