Chapter 12: The Less Kind Version of Me

Not everyone can be loyal. Money can't buy loyalty. It can only buy silence.

***

"Your highness," A guard knocked on the door that belonged to the Queen's majestic bedroom. "It's Leone."

"Come in," the queen permitted as she lied on her side, flipping through pages of a book, her eyes glued to the words inside.

"Thank you, your highness." Stepping inside, Leone then closed the door behind him, glancing at the floral designs of her walls. "Satania is asking to see you."

Carefully placing the book to the side, she sat up, her back against the bed frame. Her eyes shifted to Leone's.

"Tell her it's not in right mind to bother her soon to be wife prior to the arrangement."

Leone stood stiffly in front of the Queen, analyzing her from a distance. He watched her and recognized her expressions, patterns; shifts. He knew her schedule perhaps more than she knew it. He also knew what not to say and refrained from saying it. One thought may have crossed his mind. Disgust. He wondered how she could treat someone as less than an equal when they were soon to become equals.

He would keep those thoughts to himself.

"She seems to want to see you, my queen. You want me to let her down. May I ask why?"

With her eyes squinting towards him, her brows arched as if questioning his judgement. She snapped at him.

"I am your queen. You don't question me!" She looked for something to grab, soon finding a wine glass and threw it at him. He dodged quickly, his eyes narrowing at the now shattered glass behind him. "Go now, and get someone to clean that up."

"Y-yes, your highness. I apologize."

***

"She doesn't want to see me, does she?"

Leone, refrained from saying a word, but his eyes softened as he shook his head. Satania's eyes crinkled as she wore a soft side smirk.

"She is so traditional." Satania asserted, half-heartedly laughing to herself.

***

Karin's P.O.V.

This was strange. It's never quite like this. Everyone was keeping more of a distance from me. In fact, some screamed as they ran away. No one dared to call me any names.

We were in the market as our mom scouted for the best apples in the bunch. Feeling unease, I allowed my hoodie to cover more of my face as much as I could while having chains restricting my movements.

"I'm sorry," the salesman nervously voiced, though talking to our mother, eyeing me the entire time of the conversation with her. "Can she distance herself more from my stand? She's scaring away other customers."

Mom turned around, giving me a look, deterring me to stand further back. I nodded, not wanting to cause any more problems for anyone.

Later on, our shopping spree was coming to an end. We each held bags. Carrying the apples, I scurried off with Elizabeth as Mother wanted to speak to an old friend of hers.

Looking around, I couldn't help but notice more and more people were out here begging for food, their only shelter being the blankets wrapped around them. Though I knew it wasn't my fault, my heart cringed in my chest at the idea that there were those who suffered, and I was in no position to help them, nor would they want my help.

Well, I was not going to just do nothing.

"Karin," Elizabeth spoke, breaking the silence we were once enticed to.