Chapter 14: We Are Broken

3rd Person P.O.V.

"How monstrous."

Standing before Satania was the splitting image of the queen of Astrea, who she could now recall so clearly. Her eyes glowed, shining brighter than the rest of her in which was cast in shadows. Satania's eyes scanned the familiar slightly pigmented skin and her wavy blond hair she held up in a Dutch braid.

Her lips wavered as she struggled against her flames, contradicted by the sight before her. She stared at her intently, watching her with caution. Then, she noticed her smile widening to a twisted degree.

"I-I..." She struggled to spit out what she had wanted to say and resulted in biting her tongue.

Striding towards her, Keres stroke Satania's cheek before pulling her into a hug, ignoring the flames.

Satania's breath was stolen from her lungs as shock ran through her. Her flames instantly dimmed, until it was put out all together, by her tears to come.

"W-why..?" Satania's arms rose, hovering around Keres' body as if she was poisonous and was afraid to give in completely to her and her embrace. "I was lost for so long," She cried, her arms now wrapped around Keres' petite though strong body.

"I know, my love. One of my guards betrayed me and nulled our memories. The fact that you have gained yours must mean he had failed."

"Who? Who would do this?"

Keres released Satania as she then took a step back to look into Satania's eyes.

"Leone. That traitor. He was one of my highest guards. He stood by me for years upon years!"

"Leone?" Satania's brows connected as she tried to recall the name, until her eyes widen in recognition. "Leone? I would have never expected."

"Turns out no one can be trusted, ever. Now, to find that bastard and punish him accordingly for his crime of treason. I suspect he is crawling around here somewhere close by. Keep your eyes open, Satania."

"O-okay." Satania mumbled, as she continued thinking about the Leone she had remembered. He always was kind to her. And now, she had to help her queen with punishing the one person that she always shared her thoughts and feelings, most of those thoughts and feelings about her queen. It was disheartening to say the least.

Keres seemed to notice this. She rested her hands on Satania's shoulders and met her eyes.

"It's not your fault that you couldn't see through his facade and deceit."

She took a step back and kneeled towards the pond, looking at herself through the reflective water.

"Imagine looking at yourself in a mirror and not recognizing your own reflection. I too was lost for years... I've lost time to this human world. This prison."

Satania kneeled down beside Keres. She also looked at their reflection together, the imagery of a crown resting on both of their heads and the kingdom of Astrea in the background with the fog rising. Satania smiled at the sight, though there was a small tugging at her heart.

She had wanted this back then, but, for some reason, she was hesitant if this was how she was feeling now.

"Shouldn't I want this? Shouldn't I be more thrilled that Keres is back and that I can remember everything?" Satania thought.

Though usually sharp, Keres payed no attention to Satania's wavering thoughts and instead focused entirely on their reflection.

Then why do I feel so sad?

***

After closing the lemon stand, the man sighed, combing his fingers through his hair, ruffling through it.

"Leone!"

The man frantically covered the other's mouth to shush him.

"I told you, Gabriel. Call me Liam in public. You don't know who is listening."

Forcing Leone's hand off his mouth, he frowned.

"It's Keres... she is back. She remembers!"

Leone scowled, his eyes revealing his concern and fear.

"If her memories are fully restored and become permanent, all hope will be lost."

Gabriel nodded. "What do you think she would first do with her memories restored?"

It didn't take Leone too long to come up with his answer.

"Satania... After sleeping for so long, she would wake up to want to see her. No matter how twisted and evil Keres is, she knows she needs Satania and her loyalty in order to succeed with her plans."

"Then we better stop them."

***

Leone knew Satania very well. Before her memories were distorted and Keres' reincarnation, the three of them saw each other every day. He had a less than perfect relationship with Queen Keres. In fact, she rarely regarded to him as anyone worth speaking to, though she only did speak to him. Perhaps, her conversational skills were not on par, and she never learned how. Nevertheless, after every fight, every quarrel, between Satania and Queen Keres, Satania would routinely rush over to Leone. Battle tears would fill her eyes as she confided in him.

It pained him to have to include Satania in this as well- to do something so invading and cruel to a friend. He knew by doing this, he would lose her. He knew that, but he had no choice. What they were planning was going to destroy the balance that God had created, and it would give Hell too much power. Regardless of what anyone would say, he had concluded that this was his only option.

They had to be separated, Satania remaining the princess of Hell alongside Lucifer and forgetting ever meeting the queen and for Keres to be removed from their lives all together. It all went well... for eighteen years, until...

...their paths crossed again- their fates bringing them back together.

He should have known. He couldn't be a God of his own. Fate would always find a way to set the course of time back into sequence.

And, this was his punishment.

"Fate has brought us back together. I guess, we were always meant to be in each other's lives. Leone thought he could change that. He thought he could kill me and suppress my memories of my past life as I reincarnate into the human world. And, it's because of him, I now have a guilty subconscious who's too good and too weak." She puffed air out in frustration. "Karin might get me killed... again."

The mention of Karin's name seemed to affect Satania, for her eyes narrowed and her mind traveled again, elsewhere.

"My failure just means I have another chance to succeed." Leone's deep voice echoed through the wind, reaching Satania's and Keres' ears. Leone approached them, with Gabriel on his side, his hands in fists. His fists then released as he turned to face Satania. "Satania, I... I apologize, but you were too mixed up in all of this. I don't blame you. I know she is very convincing."

Knocked out of her daze, Satania stood up, her facial expression conveying her anger towards him.

"Oh, you don't blame me? Well, I blame you! I blame you for meddling into things that were none of your business. You played with our lives and left us all with complications!" Her body temperature was rising, feeding off of her anger. Her eyes sent daggers towards him.

His brows furrowed as he reminisced all of the good times they had shared together. His apology was earnest. He didn't want to lose her.

"Satania, what can I do?"

Her lips rested in a soft pout as she gazed at Leone, seemingly erasing all memories of him, looking at him with indifference as though he was nothing.

"You can die."