Chapter 25: Shame

"Satania and Karin, though your cases would typically be separate, we present you a joint case as compromised," The Chief of Justice spoke. The sound of the shuffling of paper echoed through the stuffy hot room as he then continued. "Satania, we will start with you."

"Yes, your honor."

He nodded, satisfied with her conveyed respect and compliance.

"Very well. Satania, your in blood relation to your brother, Lucifer, whom you stood by during the infamous massacre in 2001. You're being accused of second-degree massacre. At this point, our jury has found you more guilty than innocent, and it will take a landslide for you to win your case, if I am to be completely honest. Satania, what was the reason for this massacre?"

I felt my blood boiling within me as my hands formed into fists. It was as he said. It was all Lucifer. Satania had no part of it. How could they just pin the whole massacre on Satania, and how were they so set on punishing her when she was merely the witness of her brother's crime? Knowing of Lucifer's tales, even if Satania had tried to fight him against murdering so many people, would the story be any different? Would he have been convinced?

Satania remained calm beside me, despite the accusations and the thinning air.

"I..." Satania never hesitates. My lips parted as I turned to face her. "I wouldn't know the reason," she spoke earnestly, though she refrained on saying more.

Nodding, the chief flipped to another page of his notes.

"Do you have anything to say in defense of your actions?"

Satania's expression was determined, her brows creasing together; her posture straight.

"No, sir. I have nothing more to say." My eyes widened. What is she doing?           

"If she isn't going to speak up for herself, then I will," I thought.

"Your honor," I stood from my seat. "Why should the sibling of the real criminal be convicted of such a crime? Satania merely existed- she was a witness- to Lucifer's bad deeds, but she did not contribute to them. If you find her guilty, that's like finding any witness to any crime guilty," I had argued.

"We have no way of knowing that Satania didn't contribute. All we have is your word. Besides, we all know Satania's capabilities and her intentions. She isn't a human and is a danger to us. Isn't that right, Satania?"

Satania simply nodded her head.

"Use your words." the judge reminded.

"Yes," Satania agreed.

Oh, Satania. If you keep giving out vague affirmations, as you are now, we're not going to win this.

Writing something down, the Chief of Justice proceeded, redirecting his focus to me.

"Now, Karin..." My eyes shifted to his fingers turning to different pages. "You... you are a tricky one. The mayor had actually selected the willing people from your town to act as witnesses before us. To determine your risk factor, we're going to hear about what they have to say about you. As far as your crimes... there are no actual reports or charges against you." I exhaled in relief at those words, anticipating his following ones. "However, many fear you, and we don't take their concerns lightly."

"Many fear what they do not know," Satania intervened. I smiled, finding solace in her protective nature towards me, but my heart frowned at the idea that she couldn't speak up for herself earlier. I wondered why that was. "Karin is nothing but kind to everyone. And though she didn't do anything wrong and was wrongfully made to wear her chains, she still complied, knowing that it would make those around her feel more comfortable. You all treated her like a villain. You never should have."

I reached for Satania's hand from under the table. Without drawing attention to it, she curled her fingers in mine, giving it a firm squeeze.

Most of the witnesses that the mayor had chosen were random people that I either didn't recognize or was barely acquainted to.

A salesman asserted that I had "never harmed him and had respected him when he asked me to stay further back from him."

Others also announced that I didn't show any aggression towards them but my appearance and aura had terrified them.

The last witness came to the stand. My lips separated, and my jaw gaped, as she soon met my eyes. A minuscule smile had appeared on her face, one that quickly vanished when she turned to claim her seat. She was the girl that had spoken so kindly of me at the town square. The girl I had given the apple to.

She told the judge and jury that I had only shown kindness, discipline and respect towards her- something she was not used to, even by her own peers. She told them that she was not afraid of me and that she found no reason for anyone else to fear me.

She was only one person, but maybe her story would help our case a little bit. At least, it would hopefully open the judge's mind of the possibility of us being harmless.

Sadly, many were still wary.

"Thank you," the judge dismissed her. He then stood up from his chair, holding up a hammer. "We will take all of the words spoken in this room today under consideration for our decision, and we will all meet again tomorrow for the continuation of this trial." Hitting the hammer against the desk, we were all excused.

***

Getting ready for bed, I couldn't help but still feel the uneasiness and coldness of Satania's composure. She stripped down to her undergarments and flashed me a smile before leaving me and claiming her place on the bed. I finished drinking my cup of water before joining her with skepticism in my eyes.

"Satania, what happened earlier today?"

"What do you mean?" She asked. Her eyes were fixed somewhere behind me, her expression blank and unreadable.

"You weren't defending yourself. You were self-sabotaging. You can talk to me," I soothed, rubbing a hand up and down her arm. "What's going on in that beautiful mind of yours?"

She huffed out air, silent for a few moments, seemingly lost in her thoughts, before her lips parted.

"I guess I feel as though I don't deserve to win." And just then, for the first time that night, her eyes matched mine, her gaze so vulnerably and so openly languishing into mine. Her eyes squinted before tears welled up in then. "After hearing all of the awful things they have said and have felt about me, I started to feel shame. Maybe, they were right to blame me after all."

"Oh no, no, no." I shook my head, my brows furrowing in empathy. It was understandable for her to feel this way- to feel as though she wasn't deserving of salvation. But, I knew more than anyone that she was. She needed to believe that in her heart, just as I had in mine.

I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close to me. I gulped as I then felt her body trembling.

"Satania, we can win this. We really can, but in order for us to do so, you need to start speaking up and defending yourself. You can't remain silent."

She nodded through her sniffling.

"I will try." She gave me a half-hearted smile. "For you, my love."