5

"I can't see how you're still eating Charlie. You are so small, where does it all go?" Cedric asks as I take another bite of pistachio pudding. I shrug. I really don't know, I am only 5'3 and weigh 110 pounds. Yet I eat all the time. Cedric stopped after his first plate, Reno after his second. This is my third about to go on forth. 
      I am about to take another bite when all the food fades away and is gone. I look at the table with a sad face and he laughs. "I'm sorry," Cedric says with a light laugh. I smile. We look up at Dumbledore, waiting for his usual speech he does at the beginning of the year. The room falls silent as everyone else waits too.
     "So! Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask you for your attention while I give out a few notices. Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include screaming yo-yos, fanged frisbees, and ever-bashing boomerangs. The full list comprises some 430 items, I believe and can be viewed in Mr Filch's office if anybody would like to check it." Dumbledore gives a small smile before continuing.
     "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out of bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade all below third year. it is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch cup will not take place this year."
     "What?!" Cedric says in a quiet yell, shock is all over his face, as is a lot of students, as well as my own. Why is there no Quidditch this year?! "Thank Merlin. Took up way too much time and causes you guys too much stress," Reno says with a smile. I elbow him lightly. 
     Dumbledore continues, "This is due to an event that will be starting in October and continuing throughout the school year taking up much of the teachers time and energy. But I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-"
     Before he can continue a huge rumble of thunder hits at the same time the Great Hall doors slam open loudly. Starting quite a few students. Everyone looks in the direction of the doors.
     In the doorway, a man leaning on a cane stands. He takes off his hood to reveal his long, dark grey hair and face before walking up to the staff table. There is a soft clunk that echos from every other step the stranger takes. His face is very scarred, and it somewhat resembles the cracks in tree bark. But the most noticeable thing about him is his eye. While one was small and dark the other one, the blue one was moving constantly, not blinking at all. It is rolling up and down and side to side as if it has a mind of its own.
      When the man reaches Dumbledore he stretches out his hand which Dumbledore gladly accepts to shake. They speak silently. The man walks behind the staff table and takes a seat. He looks around, looking at each individual student it seems.
     Dumbledore smiles and says as cheery as ever, "May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? Professor Moody."
     Though we should probably clap, no one does. Not the students or the staff. Only Dumbledore and Hagrid, the very tall and large groundskeeper and Care of Magical Creatures teacher.
     "That's Mad-Eye Moody, my dad had to help him this morning for work, something about someone trying to break in," Cedric whispers to me, he sounds shocked. I look at him and whisper back. "Who's Mad-Eye Moody?" "He used to work for the Ministry. He was one of the best Auror's ever."
     "What's an Auror?" I ask stupidly. I hate having to ask these questions. But growing up in a non-magical house makes it a must. "Dark wizard catcher. The police of the wizarding world. We'll talk more about him later," Cedric says leaning away from me and looking back at the front. I follow in suit.
     Dumbledore clears his throat to silence the whispers filling the hall before he once again continues, "as I was saying, we are to have the owner of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held over a century. it is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."
     "YOU'RE JOKING!" Fred yells loudly in excitement. He is on the other side of the room, yet we could hear him clearly. I think everyone does because everyone laughs and gets very excited. I'm about to turn to Cedric to question him when Dumbledore continues.
     "I am not joking Mr Weasley. Though now that you mention it I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all going to a bar-" he is interrupted by McGonagall clearing her throat loudly.
     He smiles. "But maybe this is not the time... No. Where was I? Ah, yes. The Triwizard Tournament. Well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those of you to know we'll forgive me for giving a short explanation allow their attention to wander freely.
     "The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, in the three champions competed in three magical tasks. the school's took it in turns to host the tournament once every 5 years and it was generally agreed to be most the excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities.
     "Until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued. There have been several attempts over the centuries to reinstate the tournament. None of which has been very successful, however, our own department of international magical cooperation and magical games sports have decided the time is ripe for another attempt.
     "We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that this time no champion will find himself or herself in mortal danger. The head of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their shortlisted contenders in October, and the selections of the three champions will take place on Halloween. And impartial judge we'll decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and 1000 Galleons personal prize money.
     "Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard cup, the heads of the participating schools, along with the ministry of magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year.
     "Only students who are of the age, that is to say, 17 years or older, will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. this is a measure we feel is necessary given the tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous. whatever precautions we take it is highly unlikely that students below 6th and 7th year will be able to cope with them.
     "I will personally be ensuring but no underage students hoodwink our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion. I, therefore, beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under 17.
      "The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October and remaining with us for the greater part of the year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us and we'll give your wholehearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected.
     " And now it is late and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop chop!" Everyone starts to stand and walk out of the room. Including Cedric, Reno, and I.