0.6

U N K N O W N russia

U N K N O W N
russia

ATHENA

PERHAPS BLACK SUN RELIED TOO MUCH
on technology. Without my locating chip or communications device, I was stuck with only my watch. And while it told me where I was and various other things, it did not tell Black Sun where I was; nor did it allow me to communicate with them.

And being stranded in a Russian forest was not ideal. I was just thankful that it wasn't cold. It was still spring and was luckily and uncharacteristically warmer than most days. But if we didn't figure out where the hell we were, I had a bad feeling that we'd be making camp in the middle of the woods.

The sun was west to us, poking through the pine trees above me and lighting up the grassy path my feet were walking along. My gun was hanging heavily over my shoulders and my feet were exhausted.

My mouth was dry and my stomach was growling with hunger. The only thing that I had eaten today was that damn granola bar from almost fourteen hours ago and I was craving something else.

I didn't remember that I had shoved two granola bars into my pocket until later, after the sun had set, and after I built a fire. It was getting cooler.

"Here." I said and handed one of the bars to the man sitting a few feet away from me. He looked at it with squinted eyes. "It's a granola bar, dummkopf."

"Oh." He said, tentatively grabbing the bar from my hands.

I nodded but didn't say anything and instead focused on eating the small amount of food in my hands. It wasn't enough and I finished it in less than a minute.

But my mind went elsewhere, looking at my watch to try and figure out where we were and how to get to the nearest town. The screen on my watch was slow and I found it annoying; because there wasn't much service in the middle of nowhere. And my connection was weak.

"I think we are a few kilometers out of the nearest town. If we keep going we can make it there soon." I said, squinting to see my watch.

"It's past sundown." James said.

"So? Do you know the wildlife that lives in Russia? Bears, wolves, tigers, bugs, spiders, snakes." I said and stood up. "And let's not forget that Hydra is after us. Do you know how big tigers are? And I don't fuck with snakes."

"We would be walking in darkness. The fire is safer."

"The fire is safer." I mumbled and crossed my arms. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to enter a refuge, thinking about my bed. I thought about sharing the space with Lukas and giggling over nothing, of eating snacks and watching movies and ignoring everything else in the world.