1.2

V I E N N A austria

V I E N N A
austria

ATHENA

THE NEXT MORNING the doctor was here. The older man had flown in from Poland, where he had lived since leaving Russia. He was more than excited to meet with me and meet with the new patient he would be working with.

James had spent the better part of the morning writing things that he did remember in a notebook. When he went to the bathroom I looked at it briefly, it was a mess of scribbles and random words.

"So tell me again," Dr. Volkov said to me. "They used electrotherapy to erase his mind, no?"

"Pretty much." I crossed my arms and looked into the room where James was waiting for us. He was writing in the journal.

"This is very interesting to me." The doctor said. "I have only worked seldom with patients like these. It is a very difficult process, yes. The human mind is very complex."

I nodded slowly. "What are we going to do?"

"I am not sure just yet. I would first like to meet this man. What kind of information do we know of this man? From before?"

"He was declared dead by the United States Military back in the nineteen forties. Killed in action. He worked, apparently, with Captain Steve Rogers, better know as Captain America."

"Captain America?"

"Yes, before the Captain died. But my only problem with that idea is that during this time, Hydra would take the names of dead man and assign them to others. His file says James Barnes, but there is no way to know if that is true until he gets his memories back."

"Oh dear. Alright, let me meet this American."

We walked in together and at our entrance James stopped writing in the notebook. He looked up and I could tell he was only slightly scared; by the way that his eyes kept farting back and forth.

I wondered when he would stop seeing monsters in the shadows. I wanted him to feel safe here.

The doctor sat across from James and immediately started to work. I stood by the window, half listening and half watching the streets below.

My thoughts drifted to what James had said, and I would like to show him the outside world. But just like everything else, it needed some time. Eventually I hoped that he'd be able to see Vienna and the beauty that it was.

Hopefully soon.

I then thought of Lukas. I had seen very little of him since I had gotten back from the mission to hell. I knew when I got involved with him that it would be like this. He was busy with his work and I was busy with mine. The only time we got to enjoy each other's company now was late at night.