Chapter Four: Crying Mrs Jacobs

That night a powerful storm hounded Bordash Manor and the town of Eagle Falls, knocking out all the power in the area. Cleaning was cancelled for Matthew so that he could go to the attic and tend to the many buckets filling up with the water seeping through the roof.

The attic was a dank and cluttered mess. There were broken statues, ripped paintings, rusty tools, old furniture, a suit-of-arms, you name it. It gave Matthew the willies. But at least he had a flashlight. Although, the shadows it cast all looked like hideous creatures ready to pounce.

Fear wasn't the only thing swimming through Matthew's head. The other was the thought of escape. With the security cameras not working, it was a great opportunity. The locked attic door was his first obstacle, but he was positive he could easily find something to pick it.

A bolt of lightning lit up the attic's large circular window, which followed by a loud boom of thunder. Matthew almost jump out of his new socks.

There was then another loud boom, but this time it was the attic door banging open.

'I need half the buckets,' Miss Thorn howled. She pointed her flashlight directly at Matthew. 'Water is getting into the cellars. NOW!!!'

'Yes, ma'am,' said Matthew, and he did so.

'I hope the septic tank doesn't overflow cause that will be a mess. You should be hoping that too because you'll be the one cleaning it all up.'

Not if I escape, Matthew wanted to say.

'How can these doddering fools sleep through this?' said Miss Thorn. 'What am I saying . . . they're all bloody deaf.' She left the attic, again locking Matthew in.

Alone once more, hairs on Matthew's back stood up. He suddenly jerked his flashlight, pointing it to the far end of the attic. He was sure he had seen something move. Then, there was a thud behind him. He swivelled around so fast his flashlight flew out of his hand and skipped across the floor.

Matthew quickly retrieved the flashlight before illuminating the circular window. Something had hit it and it was still stuck to it. The thing was white. It looked like the head of a mop. The wind must be wicked outside, he thought. He went to get a closer look, putting his nose right up to the window. Was it the head of a mop? Or was it a wig?

There was a flash of lightning and, for a second, Matthew thought he had seen something in the manor's driveway.

Again, the sky was lit up, this time for a whole minute. Lighting bolt after lightning bolt came one after the other.

Matthew had indeed seen something and that something were four somethings. Miss Smart, Miss Brock, Mr Xavier and Mr Reed were standing shoulder to shoulder in the manor's driveway.

Why were they out in this crazy storm? Have they come for another nightly visit? Did Miss Thorn know this time?

All of sudden, something unexpected happened that made Matthew's mouth drop. The visitors started to run toward the manor. People who needed canes to walk were running like the wind.

Fear soon shot through his body. 'Are those crossbows?'

The lightning torrent ceased and outside turned dark again.

What in the world, Matthew said to himself, stepping back from the window. What was happening? Did Miss Smart, Miss Brock, Mr Xavier and Mr Reed want to harm him, the residents? He had to warn them.

Using his flashlight, Matthew searched and searched, finally finding a hairpin in an antique vanity, it's many bulbs shattered. He then made easy work of the attic door's lock.