Chapter Eleven B: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sarah, Simon and Maud began to walk toward the tables, their eyes trained on Norman. And as they got closer, the crowd parted to let them through. Matthew could tell they liked that very much. There was an aura of self-righteousness about them.

'We feel really hurt, Norman,' said Simon, once they had made their way over. He had a rugged face and a nose that came to a sharp point.

With a stern, unwavering look, Norman shrugged. 'What do you mean by that?'

'Oooh,' Maud squealed, her dark eyes penetrating Norman. 'did I hear a bit of lip in that, Norman?'

'No lip,' said Norman, 'I assure you. I meant no disrespect.'

Maud grinned, which Simon and Sarah copied.

'The reason we feel really hurt, Norman,' said Simon, 'is that you didn't invite the Westies to Wendy and Howie's party. Or perhaps the invitation got lost in the mail?'

Sarah and Maud laughed.

'Whatever the case,' said Simon, 'we're here . . . here to celebrate Wendy and Howie. It's not every day that children come back.' There was an odd twinkle in his eye. 'We thought we should show our respect and come. The rest of the Westies couldn't make it so I would like to apologize for them.'

'May I ask how you knew about what happened to Wendy and Howie and that we were having a party?' Norman asked.

Sarah replied to that with a look of astonishment. 'The Westies have never overheard so many children talk about something so much before.' She flicked her long hair.

'What about these Saviours, hey?' said Maud. 'Surely they can't be real.'

'Who knows,' said Chloe, 'they could be.'

Simon growled. 'Only stupid children would believe such nonsense.'

Unable to stop himself, Matthew blurted out with slight hostility, 'That's not very nice.'

Everyone turned to him with mouths open. Sarah,Simon and Maud were among the shocked, but quickly turned angry.

'Boy, do you know who you're talking to?' bellowed Simon, stepping in front of Matthew. 'What's your name?'

'Please forgive him,' said Chloe. She placed herself between Matthew and Simon, her worried eyes darting between the leaders of the Westies. 'He's new to Spring Heights.'

Simon gritted his teeth, looking as if he was about to do something violent, but soon calmed down. He said to Matthew, clearly not meaning it, 'Welcome to Spring Heights.' Then in a more joyful tone, he said, 'Now, are we going to get this party started or what?'

'It started already,' said Norman.

'This is it?' said Maud, looking unimpressed. 'We got all dressed up for this. I'm very disappointed, Norman.'

'What's on the tables?' Sarah asked.

'It's food,' said Norman.

Sarah, Simon and Maud sniggered.

'Are you sure it's food?' said Sarah.

'I'm sure.'

'Well, it all looks disgusting,' said Maud.

'Like vomit,' said Simon.

Matthew was raging inside. Anyone with half a brain could tell it was food.