Chapter Three B: Marshmallows

Miss Smart, Miss Brock, Mr Xavier and Mr Reed were sitting at their own table when Matthew entered the dining room the following day. And he went over to them right away after he was reintroduced to everyone by Miss Thorn.

'May I have lunch with you?' Matthew asked. Miss Thorn had picked out for him a blue and white striped T-shirt and a pair of white pants. He looked like a sailor.

'Of course you can, Billy,' Miss Smart said with delight, brushing her curly white hair out of her face. Matthew sat down in between her and Mr Xavier, the one with the eyepatch.

'So, what brings you here?' Mr Xavier asked Matthew after he and the others had introduced themselves.

'I'm here to say hello, help out . . . things like that,' replied Matthew.

In his slow voice, Mr Reed asked, 'What's in it for you?'

'Community service hours,' replied Matthew. 'There's an award that they hand out at my school if you do so many hours throughout the year.'

'You must really want this award,' said Miss Brock, 'coming here in the summer. Surely you would prefer being outside playing.'

If only, thought Matthew. 'I really do want this award. It's nice looking . . . shiny and big.'

'Do you like writing, Billy?' asked Mr Xavier.

'Pardon?' said Matthew, surprised at the question.

Nodding, Mr Xavier said, 'Your hands . . . they're very inky.'

Miss Smart, Miss Brock and Mr Reed snapped their eyes onto Matthew's hands. He was resting them on the table, but quickly tucked them out of sight.

Indeed, Matthew's hands were inky. He had scrubbed them raw down in the cellar before coming upstairs, but the ink wouldn't come off. It was a new ink Mr Jacobs had made and it just stuck to his skin. And of course Miss Thorn was not pleased with it. 'You should have been more careful. I'll have to punish you for this of course,' she had said. 'Tomorrow night, after you've cleaned everywhere, you'll go through the entire south library and make sure all the books are in proper order.'

Matthew smiled at Mr Xavier. 'I do like writing, yes.'

Mr Xavier nodded then changed the subject. 'So, where do you live? In town?'

'No,' said Matthew, 'I live in a town nearby.'

'Do you go to school there?' asked Mr Reed.

Before Matthew could answer, there was a loud bang. A branch from a tree outside had hit one of the dining room windows. The tree, like all the others he could see, was whipping around like a bucking bronco, sending debris flying everywhere.

'Looks like a storm's a-brewin,' said Mr Xavier.

In the distance, Matthew could see thunderous clouds growing.

'Where are you four from?' asked Matthew, as the sound of wind whistled down his ears.

'Up north,' said Miss Brock. 'We live together at another residential home.'

'Why are you thinking about moving . . . coming here?' said Matthew.

'Change of scenery,' said Miss Smart.

Matthew nodded. 'Have you met any of the residents yet?'

'We've met a few,' said Miss Brock. 'Mr and Mrs Hope, and Mr Herrman. They live on the second floor. Very nice people.'